Spider cracks - it can NOT be good - what to do

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by MDCHILDS, Sep 19, 2011.

1. MDCHILDS

MDCHILDS Junior Member

On cleaning the inside of the hull and removing years of dirt - I noticed spider cracks in the fiberglass of the transom --- I assume that this is NOT a good thing but do not know what it really means or what I should be doing about it. There is not many and they are not big - but I am sure that left alone - it will only get worse.

Cleaning the outside of the transom - there appear so be a few very thin spider cracks as well.

The transom appears to be solid otherwise.

Comments and help would be appreciated. Thank you

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Spider cracks are from impact normally or in some cases where a Bracing panel sandwiched between the layers of glass has had to much load at some time and the weakest point is the end of the braced part . Cracks inside impact out side ,cracks outside pressure and stress from inside !!
    Transom's you can just about stake your life it will be wet !!
    If its a older boat there will be holes where things have been mounted at some time that may not have been filled properly and leaked . The hull drain may also not have had the holes sealed properly and water gets in to the plywood packer . Screw holes are the favorite place with a finger wipe of silicone or something , never works !.
    The motor hanging on the back will possible be twice what was origanally there and the transom was never meant to have that kind of power so stressed !! we keep exspecting more and never adding to the strenght so somethings got to give some where . :(