wakeboard prop

Discussion in 'Props' started by pop41, Apr 18, 2015.

1. pop41

pop41 New Member

Hi i bought an old 4.3m sportsman craft with a 1976 johnson seahorse 70hp. It has a 13 1/4 x 17 prop that is just not enough to get wakeboarder out of the water. After research i asked my local shop for 13 1/4 x 15 prop they gave me a 12 1/4 x 15 and said it would be all good the diameter wouldnt make any difference. I installed it and just tested it even with no one behind the boat the prop cavitated/ airated (unsure, motor reved faster and boat crept along) when taking off. Once up to speed was good but could feel even when going fast if i gave it to it it lost traction a bit.
    i also fit a hydrofoil.
    Prop is a turning point hustler with the swappable hub.
    could the inch of diameter difference caise slipping?

2. pop41

pop41 New Member

Just had a thought. The centre ring is slightly smaller on new prop I think the exhaust may be getting blown straight onto the blades causing the slipping.
    could that be possible issue?

3. pop41

pop41 New Member

Yep that would be the problem.

Attached Files:

4. pop41

pop41 New Member

New prop and old prop. Old one is back on and will be taking new prop back on monday. Well i can mark that down in my life lessons book

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.