How do I waterproof the drive axle

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by klick, Apr 24, 2008.

1. rfnk

rfnk Junior Member

I really think the packless coupling is the best way to go for a boat that stays in the water. However, when I restored our timber Folkboat a couple of years ago, I actually forgot to install one. By the time I'd built in a self-draining cockpit, it was a bit late to replace the original stuffing box. So, we connected a high-pressure line to the stuffing box grease reservoir and put a grease nipple on the end of the line in a more accessible spot, under a seat locker. I keep a small grease gun under there and each day after we've run the engine, I give the grease line one pump of grease. This grease seals the shaft against water dripping in while the boats moored. It works perfectly except when I forget to pump the grease! When this happens, there's usually a cup or two of water in the bilge after a week or two on the mooring. I do plan to cut a larger hatch into the floor of the cockpit to improve access to the stuffing box (and a couple of other things - you need to be an octopus to work on the nether regions of a Folkboat) however, and when I do that, I will install the packless bearing if the current arrangement is beginning to fail.

2. Captain Howdy

Captain Howdy New Member

I know this is an old thread but I just now joined because I found it so helpful. In addition, I have found a clip on youtube which explains in great detail how mechanical (ceramic) seals work. It's tremendously helpful if you can ignore the stupid mime. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__wqc1GfnZE

In case the link should expire, search youtube for:
    "Mechanical Seals Basics from EagleBurgmann"

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.