How do I fix this kayak rudder?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Squidly-Diddly, Jun 21, 2014.

1. bpw

bpw Senior Member

All the fast open water racing kayaks and surf-skis use rudders...and these are boats that most amateurs couldn't make it 20 feet off the beach in without tipping over. If they weren't faster with rudders they wouldn't have them.

As to the fix, might be easiest to just get a new chunk of plastic and replicate what is there with a smaller hole.

But your idea will probably work fine, not like kayak rudders take lots of load.

Not positive, but that looks a lot like the rudders Perception used to use on their boats.

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

No, what I am is someone who like to debunk specious statements that are not accurate. - Like the bit you offered early on (but didn't repeat here for obvious reasons ) ...

Obviously, you dont count long distance endurance kayakers as 'experienced'. Your statement potentially could make some casual web readers endure unnecessary hardship, although it is an inaccurate 'throwaway' line with no basis of fact.

Again, your personal bias shows through. if you had read a bit more of the blogs instead of stopping when you thought you had some 'ammunition', you would have come across this discussion on Stuarts trip - where he encountered some of the roughest conditions in the whole trip, around my home waters - have a read below and be enlightened, in potentially life threatening conditions.

"Although the forecast was improving the previous day had taken its toll. Michael had struggled to keep up, his skeg boat simply not as efficient at dealing with the rough conditions as everyone else who had rudders"

http://mattbezzina.blogspot.com.au/

On the subject of sharks - you could equally have said "Shark fooled by rudder, Kayaker saved from direct attack". Try Googling shark attacks on kayakers of all sorts. eg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoiWtj-N49w

I doubt if a small, appendage attracts as much attention as 150 kilos of brightly coloured, seal shape from underneath.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.