Atkins Retreat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Old Plans, Feb 21, 2022.

1. Old Plans

Old Plans New Member

I have an idea I would like to bounce off builders here. I have considered building William Atkin’s “Retreat”, which he designed in the 1940’s. I wanted something that would move faster though than 5 or 6 knots. I also wanted something more seaworthy. At least on larger lakes and rivers. I can’t see why I can’t start with Spria’s Garvey “Galveston”. I would build it exactly as the plans show. I would then build a cabin for it using Atkin’s plans for “Retreat”. I would have a self bailing bow and stern deck. I would be taking it up shallow creeks but also on larger rivers and lakes. I am not trying to get maximum performance out of the Garvey. But, rather to create a version of the “Retreat” that I can take more places. When I compare the study plans for both and the 1942 Motorboating article on “Retreat’s” plans it looks good. My next step is to go ahead and buy full plans for both and work out combining them. However anyone who is familiar with these boats who has an opinion on this I would like to hear it. When I drew the Retreats cabin on the Garvey to scale and combined them it was the look I wanted also. Retreat is a boat I have some romantic attachment to so I am more concerned about wither it would work for my needs, rather than if it is the best cabin for a “Garvey”. Both negative and positive criticism is welcomed. Thank You.

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Here is a link to Spira's Galveston Garvey for reference -
    https://spirainternational.com/hp_galv.php

And some info on the Atkin Retreat -
    Atkin & Co. - Retreat http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Misc/Retreat.html

Note that on the Atkin site they say that they are no longer accepting orders for plans for this model.

Be aware that even on relatively small lakes the water can still get quite choppy when the wind picks up.

3. Tops

Tops Senior Member

The Atkins boat reminds me a bit of Thiel's Friendship:
    https://www.woodenboatstore.com/products/phil-thiels-friend-ship-digital?variant=16904165359706
    [​IMG]
    Since I have built a PDR this hull form seems oddly 'natural' although still 'boxy'
    The roll-off feature of the Spira is interesting along with the bent panels as a garvey.
    Makes me wonder how different or similar the boats would be on the water.

When I first read the title I thought it was going to be a thread about dieting... :)

Kirk likes this.
  4. Old Plans

Old Plans New Member

5. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Sorry, but I am baffled as to what GFVC means?

6. Old Plans

Old Plans New Member

Sorry, I started to add something but had to stop and those letters are all together on the keyboard and I must have hit those keys by mistake.
    Reference Retreat Plans. I believe the plans are just temporarily not available because they are making changes to their webpage. I could build the cabin from plans in the 1943 Motorboating magazine. But if I build it I certainly would want to buy them anyway first. I think that would just be the right thing to do. After finding Spira on Youtube. I have been watching his many videos and they are answering many of my questions watching them. Actually, my major concern right now is the price of plywood and other wood.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.