How come you can't buy a folding trailerable pontoon barge?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by parkland, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Village_Idiot

Village_Idiot Senior Member

2. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

3. parkland

parkland Senior Member

looks cool!
    I don't think they really sell them though, looks like they sell multi tools.

Folding clamshell design could really work good !! .

4. myark

myark Senior Member

http://myarkwrench.com/history.html

The link above is some of my old folding boat designs 15 to 20 odd years ago.
    I have new designs, some do not fold but all have a built in trailer system that the wheels and suspension are easily removed.
    The new designs suspension is made from gr 5 titanium that’s the hubs, axle, torsions arm and torsions bar with an option of aluminium or titanium boxed casing for the rubber cords.
    I have designed a new system that allows the torsion rubber cords to be DIY replaced also the cords to be adjustable to suit the loads.
    The reason for this
    Rubber cord torsions suspensions internal rubber shock cords can and do wear out, resulting in the trailing arms being less supportive of the weight of the trailer, and less effective in damping out road bumps.
    Since these shock cords are internal to the axle body, they are not replaceable, so the entire axle has to be replaced when the cords wear out.
    Another downside related to torsional axles is when there is no load on a trailer the rubber cords are not as flexible with the trailer having a bouncing affect.
    Titanium is expensive; however the price is about $1200 USD a set for unbaked torsions that can last a life time...
    The replaceable rubber cords are worth $8 USD a set (8 pieces) $1 each cord
    Normally titanium cost would be much higher but I reside in China with direct relationship with titanium factory and should get this cost much lower when numbers are produced.
    The reason I like to use titanium is its light for my boat designs that have the suspension and wheel manually removed also its up market beyond any other suspension on the market and does not rust.
    There are other designs coming in the near future that have been on my drawing board for over 15 years that are a 3.m to 5.8.m high performance catamarans that have the built in removable titanium suspensions.
    The catamaran design middle area on the last 1.2 has a slope rising slightly up at the back of boat that lifts it like a whale tail and can give 25% more performance and fuel economy also an added hydrofoil is optional.
    By using the lighter trailer system built in to hull design and materials for better torsion mounting this will allow lower fuel usage and a larger load when towing, better man handling on land.
    By placing the $1200 trailer verses the standard heavy trailer is a saving to justify the high quality titanium usage.
    With the folding trailer barges they have this new suspension mounting system also that is fare easily to launch and more user friendly than my old design folding trailer barges.
    My main goal has been to float the standard car that is practical and affordable also weigh less than 600kg towed with mounted outboard but able to float 4000 kg meaning a four wheel drive and its full load or a camper van.
    There are smaller folding trailer barges suited for small cars that will weigh 400 kg which is the norm vehicle factory towing weight requirements for small cars. Also a simple system that can divert the car HP to drive the propulsion of the barge if needed.
    To make cars amphibious is suited for outdoor activity such as camping on islands and river banks or back of lakes with all the luxuries the car provides such as seating air-conditioning, heater, lights window wipers, suspension and luggage or security from insects or animals.
    On a river you can get off at the other end and carry on so no double back to pick up trailer and car, especially against a current.
    At this moment I am developing a small 2. X 1.2 box trailer that can be used as boat, this weighs with titanium suspension and wheels 120 kg but can float a 600 kg load.
    This trailer easily lifts up onto its end to save garage space and the wheels can be removed if want to save more space.
    It is expensive because of the 5083 aluminum fully welder and the titanium suspension and aluminum mag wheels that is about $3000 USD but competitive with aluminum trailers that cannot float and have steel suspension.
    If you place a 15 HP on the tail gate it is an exciting ride that has a similar bottom shape to the catamaran center hull that allows the back to rock up and ride level with the surface water giving it a hydrofoil effect.

5. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

Is this the sort of thing you mean??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-_Z3O9IcHs&feature=plcp

I've used this system for over 20 years on sailing catamarans, up to 26ft. Over that and the load is too high on the trailer. But the same idea would work on a bigger pontoon boat without a cabin

The parts for the folding system all came from Home Depot, cost was under USD20 complete

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

6. myark

myark Senior Member

I am in China which does not allow YouTube to be displayed on the internet.
    Have you any other link to explain what you mean?

7. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

Pity you cannot see any videos

So I suggest you go to my website, then the Designs link, then Powercats (at righthand end of the menu).

You'll see some photos and you can download a pdf studypack which includes trailer folding details. There is also a link to some "real" trailer photos. The 2011 year review has even more photos and comments.

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

8. myark

myark Senior Member

9. myark

myark Senior Member

An example size dimensions of the structure for the amphibious folded trailer barge that weighs 400kg including trailer is 1.1 wide X .800 high X 5.8 long.
    To the outside of the wheels the size is 1.5 wide.
    The unfolded width is 2.5 and can also be towed unfolded if needed for beach launching.
    The built in loading ramps to drive car on top are also used as the tow bar in folded trailer form.

10. myark

myark Senior Member

The Myark folding trailer barge is the trailer which the 10. X 4.8 weighs with built in trailer under 2000kg so a car tow it or any size camper van also it will float 12 ton loads.

Attached Files:

11. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Have you done any testing in cross winds?

12. myark

myark Senior Member

Duck shooting opening morning with band and loud music with cross winds having no problems.

Attached Files:

13. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

What, no problems from crosswinds, or irate shooters ?

14. myark

myark Senior Member

No problems

Attached Files:

15. JSL

JSL Senior Member

check out NATO floating bridge sections.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.