Displacement vs. Comfort vs Speed

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by michael puig, May 13, 2004.

1. michael puig

michael puig Guest

while i wait for my socal house boat. I am shopping for a sailboat again. 34-38' in length.

So here is the deal, I had a T-10, that was a bit of a hanful to sail but was it fun and did it point, I dont think it would be fun or comfy in a three day offshore race. So then I get a Beneteau 321, 9700 lbs and 11.5 beam a fattie with a big butt and 4.5' draft. Very comfy if you dont mind sailing sideways...
    Boy did it pound, on some offshore races coming off the wave tops and BAM!

so now I am boatless and am trying to decide. Where is the middle ground?

So now I have so choices and I request assistance in evaluation. 70% of my sailing is bay with slight chop 12-15knts 30% is offshore Gulf of Mexico where when bad you have waves with no backs...

Here is the short list

Tartan 34 deep keel (Tartan/Jackett)
    Crealock 34 (Crealock)
    1985 Beneteau first 34 (Beret)
    McCurdy & Rhodes 35 (McCurdy)
    Baltic 35 (Judel/Vrolijk)

1983 Beneteau First 38 (Beret)
    Gran Soliel 39 (J7M attrib to Frers)

So give me a hand here. The biggers boats will be a bit more to park, and more physical to raise the main and so on but so what. Most of my sailing is singlehanded.

Thanks in Advance

Mike

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

For my money the Crealock is the boat, but for your near shore ventures, may be a bit too heavy, though you'll love the ride. A wonderful cruiser, but you seem more interested in the regatta crowd. I'd be afraid of the deep fin Tartan as the gulf is a pretty shoal place, having found most every bar in the St. Pete and Marco Island area with bottom paint more then I care to admit.

Make a short list of the way you'd like this boat, sea kindliness/speed or speed/comfort. A quick look at the D/L's and SA/D's would give a very general idea of the race oriented craft and the cruisers. Personally I have to enjoy my coffee, and real light quick helmed boats don't suit me, I can always hop in a Laser. Give me a boat with some depth to her forefoot, length to her keel and heft to her *** and I'm happy. I may not win the race, but when I get there dinner will be on the stove, not out of a can. If I want to go camping I'll call a naughty Girl Scout and make a weekend of it.

3. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

I'd urge you to check out Seaquest Yachts at www.seaquestyachts.com
    Go to the photo gallery first by clicking the "in action" tab.

I also like the Lago 38.1: www.edan.net/38.1_01.html

If you want to go in a more traditional direction, check out Roanna at www.nigelirens.demon.co.uk/nid_sail.htm or the 39.5 - foot "Snowy Egret" live-aboard Sharpie Cruiser at www.parker-marine.com

If you're going to the second had market you might look at the Express 38, Olson 40, Wilderness 40, and Santa Cruz 40.

Would you consider a multi? How 'bout the Corsair 36?

4. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

I second the multi option. Too bad Ian Farrier's had to put F-33 production on hold.

For racing, the F-36 hasn't yet proven faster than the F-31, and one can find used F-31/F-9's for sale. For single handing, something along the size of an F-27 or C-28 might be more like it.

I'm not sure what you're looking for in way of "comfort". I'd crew on some multihulls to see what they're like in a seaway.

5. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

I think not in terms of heavy vs light, but in terms of long vs short. The Diva 39 could be seen as a streched 36 - making it narrower and lighter than other 39s, with a smaller, more managable rig. http://members.cox.net/mark.hassel/

I'd be interested to know what you make of the new J/100. The numbers are notably close to those of the Tarten 10. Does it improve on the Tarten 10? How so? It looks like it'd be a good singlehander, but does it have the accomodations you're looking for? http://www.jboats.com/j100/index.htm

Also worth a look: the Aerodyne 35 and 38 - http://www.bwsailing.com/01articles/boats/aerodyne35.htm

6. nemo

nemo Naval Architect

I think Gran Soleil 39 is the best between the boats you listed.
    Besides, it still has a high price, after all this years, but this should mean something..

7. Mike Puig

Mike Puig Guest

comfort vs speed

Thanks for all the comments. If I was not clear, comfort for me is not pounding, or slaming . Hard bilges and flat bottoms pound. Also note that the samples I provided are older boats, I do not have the luxury to buy new. From running all the numbers on the boats, I think NEMO is right on the money is rating the Grand Soliel as the fastest - softest ride.
    Although a Olsen 40 would kick ***! Fast IS fun- but I am old and funky and lazy now...

8. Mike Puig

Mike Puig Guest

disp-comfort-speed and T-10's

I think the J/100 will be very effective in light air. It really IS the redefinition of what the T-10 is/was as conceived by Charlie Britton. On a windy day you sale a T-10 like a big laser, forget the jib. It is still a handfull. The LS10 version that Rich has build by the Henderson is the was to go if you want the original crooked hull. Yes, all hulls are crooked, he could not correct it and still be considered class legal. Understand that the 10 is still the cheepes boat to get into for its size if someone wants to race, that is why it is so popular. The 10 crowd is not the crowd that will buy the J/100. But I will say that a properly prepaired/restored 10 (like Voodoo) witha 126 rating sailed well will KILL the fleet.

9. SeaDrive

SeaDrive Senior Member

By "Tartan 34" do mean Tim Jackett's tweak of the S&S Tartan 33? I've raced on the fractional rig 33 (Scheel keel), and it does not point with the rest of the fleet. This is due to the staying of the rig, not the keel. Perhaps the masthead rig on the 34 is better; I wouldn't know, but I note the PHRF is 30 sec/mi lower.

Why no C&C boats on your list? They had a reputation dealing with for the Great Lakes "square wave." The big foretriangles are not the best for a singlehander, though.

10. leilani

leilani New Member

Ericson 38

Mike,

Have you considered the Ericson 38. I have one for sale. All lines lead to cocpit. roller furling. I have single handed her & once you get the landing sequence down for your slip it can be done. Here is the link with some pics
    http://www.sailingtexas.com/sericson381a.html

M Rock

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.