Chevy V8 cooling

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by sean-nós, Apr 12, 2011.

1. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

Hi, guys I am rebuilding a v8 for my crackerbox build and have bought a lot of chrome parts one of witch is a crossover pipe at the top of the photo that goes in place of the water pump, dose that mean I can run the engine and cool the 1-1 gearbox off the raw water pump and do away with the circulating pump. If any one has a diagram or photo or any advice on how it can or should be done please let me know thanks.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56106&stc=1&d=1302641557

Attached Files:

2. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

I wouldnt use a crossover and replace the water circ pump if you operate in cold water

1 person likes this.
  3. mr hot rod

mr hot rod Junior Member

Fergal,

Your kit should also include a thermostat.

We couldn't find any installation instructions for the SBC, but the BBC installation is similar :

We've installed the Hardin Marine 4-Port Thermostat Kit on our 355. Click here for Installation Instructions.

[​IMG]

120, 140, 160 and 180 degree hi-flow brass marine thermostats are also available.

A high quality sea strainer will ensure that the thermostat doesn't plug up with silt or debris.

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.boats.chelseacoachworks.com

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  4. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

5. cyclops2

cyclops2 Senior Member

If you have no need to race flatout for long periods. Use a thermostat of about 130 to 140 F. That really slows down the salt deposits in the water cooled exhausts passages.
    A check of every spark plug will tell you how the cylinders are running. You want a look like a cup of Coffee & some cream in it. Light brown.
    Very light brown is NOT GOOD. Too lean of a cylinder condition. Burning of valves & possible knocking on hot days after a W O T run.
    Hershey dark brown is too rich or a too cold thermostat....also a stuck thermostat in the open position.
    Dark brown plugs CAN be VERY hard to prevent random misfiring in the engine. Too many dark plugs make for VERY DIFFICULT startups.

I do wander.

Rich

1 person likes this.
  6. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

Will I need to put in a water pressure regulator valve also.
    This is all new to me so excuse the questions, I was just thinking that when the boat is moving at speed there will be a lot more pressure been put on the head gasket.
    Are there any down sides to a crossover pipe in place of a circulation pump.
    Thanks again.:confused:

1 person likes this.
  7. anthony goodson

anthony goodson Senior Member

Sean I have admired the quality of your work in the past ,may I ask why you have decided not to use a heat exchanger?

8. cyclops2

cyclops2 Senior Member

Sean

I Hang around with a bunch of old race boat guys. The old wooden race boats. That also includes all types of Garvies, Skiffs & Crackers.
    If you can wait a few days I may be able to get the best racing engine mechanic in the Saint Lawrence River area to get on the phone with you about how to cool any chevy.

Rich

Be sure to ask about the gearbox cooling. If you are just going to do vintage ....flybys....& NO blood & guts stuff tell him.

9. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

Thanks Anthony this is my donor engine and it has a wet exhaust so I want to use as much as I can to save a few €€€ as I am building this boat on a very tight budget in fact no budget :D
    [​IMG]

Thanks cyclops2 If you could just ask is it a good or bad way to go in their opinion or what way they like to cool their engines that would be great thanks.

PS I would love to see any photos of crackerbox's you might have :D

10. cyclops2

cyclops2 Senior Member

Wiil do.

11. cyclops2

cyclops2 Senior Member

My 2 old crackerboxes.

They are pretty well emptied by now.

Rich

Attached Files:

12. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

I would as a non circ pump engine is very reactive to the water pressure so the pump needs to be sized perfectly
    I would also fit an oil temp gauge to ensure the oil gets hot enough
    You didnt mention your boating water temp or range of temps the engine has to operate in.

PS One thing that is true is that your donor engine cooling system design works perfectly

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.