How can i start a inboard engine without the heat exchanger to see if it runs?

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by J Arena, Apr 10, 2011.

  1. J Arena
    Joined: Apr 2011
    Posts: 2
    Likes: 0, Points: 0, Legacy Rep: 10
    Location: Rhode Island

    J Arena New Member

    I was wondering if anybody could tell me if there is a way to start a chrysler 360 engine without the heat exchanger on land. The heat exchangers were stolen off of both engines. I want to see if the engines run!!! I want to run them for a very short period of time ,probably for one minute to here them run. The heat exchangers are very expensive and i do not want to spend the money now. I am in the process of restoring a 1965 37' Egg Harbor Sedan and i do not think i will have it in the water this season. I basically want to see if the engines run or if they have issues and have to be rebuilt. They have not been started in 3-4 years. Any info would be appreciated.
  2. Dean Smith

    Dean Smith Previous Member

    pump water from hose in and dump it -- in others words just let it run through the block, forget the raw water side
    sorry someone stole your coolers,
  3. bruceb
    Joined: Nov 2008
    Posts: 1,275
    Likes: 59, Points: 48, Legacy Rep: 214
    Location: atlanta,ga

    bruceb Senior Member

    run um

    First, if the exchangers were very old and had been used in salt water, you didn't lose much- they probably were due for replacement anyway. You can run the engines at idle for 2-3 mins without out damage, and any water in the jackets and heads is even better, but it won't be in the right places. The noise will be impressive, and there is a real fire danger- make sure there are no fuel leaks. A remote fuel cut-off and a good BIG fire system should be ready. good luck:rolleyes: B
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.