How can I make a gas engine run on WVO?

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by confused, Feb 12, 2009.

1. apex1

apex1 Guest

Not wrong, but the draft has to be high to get your fire running, the steam exhaust does just add to it at higher speeds (higher amounts of burning fuel).
    But another issue, if you are planning to use the launch in sweetwater ONLY, everything is ok. If you move towards the coast, we have to design a condenser engine plant! That makes all the stuff much more difficult. And nothing is with exhaust steam.
    If you gave up the Mc Donalds fuel idea, lets move to your new thread.
    R.

2. confused

confused New Member

o.k, but let me get this straight. I am ONLY going to use my boat in freshwater canals. If I get the house I think that we are going to get, we will have a canal behind our house, and I could use my boat in that after it rains, It's more like a ditch though.

3. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

During WWII my dad used to cut his gas with Kerosine. They couldnt get gas.
    So the oppisite might work althoug it's not likely to be pretty and will be pretty smelly for certain.
    Cut your WVO with gas. Try a little bit of that in your weed eater.
    When you see the smoke, you'll have your answer.
    Dont run it for more than a few seconds though. The Diesel, cut with Gas wont lube the lower end very well at all.

There was a Diesel, (Hall-Scott) that started on Gas, warmed up, and then they used the diesel. It wasnt much fun to get going or maintain, but it ran OK after it was on the diesel and running up to temp.

The long and short of it is; it wont work. It was a good idea, but wont work.

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Interesting to note, on the same theme as thudpucker is going here... cetane number and octane number tend to be inversely correlated; ie. a fuel that works well in a diesel engine will be an absolute disaster in a spark-ignition engine, and vice versa.

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Vw did it 40 years ago, it was more a spark assisted diesel. Did'nt catch on.

From my own opinion the compression ratio would have to be high but not high enough to cause detonation. A spark assist would cause the detonation . However the temperature of the engine would be critical keeping the combustion chamber just below detonation.

A petrol fuel injection would be a good base engine. The early Bosch fuel injection on Mercedes was an in line pump like a diesel.

A more modern system would need delivery pressure boosting to handle the viscosity of the fuel, not to mention a very early injection timing.

On the other hand a CI injection system such as the K tronic or the J tronic mighyt do well --IF the fuel delivery pressure could be boosted.

Interesting experiment.

Old low comp cars could run of parrafin if it was started on petrol and the parrafin heated first,--usually by wrapping the fuel delivery pipe around the exhaust. Ive seen fuel heaters on Ebay.

War time stuff,-- necessity is the mother of inventions.

Sometimes I wish I lived in a breakers yard.

6. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Right on, both of you.
    The worst problem with SVO is the viscosity is right up there with Tar or Crude. It also has to be filtered pretty fine or the 'chunks' leftover from the Food operation will plug anything.
    Also from one minute to the next the viscosity (thickness) of that stuff changes.

Veggie oil is called Lipids by Chemists. That means the oil comes in a little capsule similar to Fish Oil tablets.
    That Capsule has to be "Washed" out, leaving real burnable Diesel oil or it wont work in a diesel engine.

I told the young guy wrong when I suggested trying it in his weed eater. A single cylinder Briggs Four stroke would be a better test platform.

But when he sees the awsome volume of dark blue/grey smoke he's gonna produce, he'll quit soon enough.

7. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

why dont we just stop frying food?

8. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

LOL, good one!
    A better way is "Algae Diesel" but in the end, powerboats statment is the right one. "...we are not..."
    We answerd the kid's question as best we could. Without our R&D department in attendence we can go no further with this one.

9. mark775

mark775 Guest

Re: Jatho...And Hiram Maxim, and others. If the guy's two brother's and two best friends decades later claim Jatho made a sustained 60 meter flight with non-airfoil wings, even tho, read elsewhere, it was 8 meters, (these can best be described as a "hop", using speed and a bump in the field to glide a ways in a Zanonia seed with an engine), and even tho there are no extant photos not "preserved" so as to be rendered unobservable, I believe them! The Wrights made a 40 meter "flight", too but the one claimed as first "controlled", or "sustained" flight was 250 meters. Fact of the matter is that these guys were all braver and smarter than me - especially Maxim and I applaud them.
    Confused kid, are you really not a kid, at all? If so, why would you disrespectfully question the spelling of an adult? When your grandiose dreams and cocksure nature are tempered by education and battles of life won and lost then you have a right to (I hope respectfully) critique others. Not until you acheive age and enlarged Skene's gland (see if he catches that one) can you elevate to arrogant and "grumpier".

10. Rangerspeedboat

Rangerspeedboat Senior Member

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Maybe it could run on hot air?, just plug in into Marks mouth, tee hee

12. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

How did you even think that oil would burn in a gas engine???? I got a F-350 7.3 diesel truck. I have run diesel, JP8, B100 (100% biodiesel), used engine oil (not recommended) tranny fluid, two stroke oil, and wvo (filtered to 1 micron) at about 1 gallon to 45 gallons. In order to safely run wvo in a diesel, you need to heat it prior to it hitting the injectors. AND you need to start the engine and shut the engine off on diesel, otherwise in short time you'll cause excessive coking of the pistons and on the injectors, which means you won't be running anymore. Some do run straight wvo in older Mercedes because the bosch injector pumps and older injectors can handle running wvo, but those vehicles are the exception to the rule. THere is no way a spark will ignite oil in a low compression gas engine. Oil burners are compression engines that bring the cylinder air temp up to about 400* before even injecting fuel, so it ignites instantly. Gas engines can not raise the cyl air temp that high.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.