How can I make a gas engine run on WVO?

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by confused, Feb 12, 2009.

1. apex1

apex1 Guest

Wise guy...................

2. confused

confused New Member

OK. I would like to know what all a weed eater engine can run on, at least without it blowing up or getting ruined. I was just curious.

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

On gas Mike. 2 or 4 stroke run on gas, but I´m shure you know that.
    Find yourself a small Diesel of about 100 to 200 cubic (ccm) they will work on Mc Donalds crap if filtered and preheated to about 50°C. Maybe you must add some amount of regular Dieseloil to get it running. Only trial and error gives the answer how much.
    Regards
    Regards

4. confused

confused New Member

Alright. And, I know that this is a BOAT designs forum, but do you think that a six hp gaso engine could pull a small airplane if it had a 3ft prop? (the airplane has a 16 ft span, it is 10ft long, and has a bamboo frame, and the frame is not covered and is 3ft tall at the front of the airplane, the only things that this airplane sucks up are; bamboo poles, two 10in tires, 1 small wooden seat back, and a cloth seat that is stretched between the frame, and the 6hp with a 3ft prop, and all the control wires and stuff, it is 2ft wide, NON covered frame, so It is just THE frame (which is also the body) with wings, engine&prop, and non retractable landing gear). Stands three feet, five in. at the top of the frame. I have been wanting to ask someone that for awhile. You might not know about that stuff, so ya don't have to answer. I estimate it to way 50lbs and under. I remember adding up the weight once.
    Thanks-
    Info hog

5. robherc

robherc Designer/Hobbyist

With a little experimentation, you might be able to get the weed eater engine to run on Ethanol (E85 from the gas station), but it would probably need a different ratio of 2-cycle oil mixed in, and the fuel line might eventually become brittle & break, or start leaking. Other than that, I'd look for an engine designed for the fuel you're wanting to use.

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

Yeah a 6 hp easily propels a UL plane of proper design.:)

7. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I've seen ultralights that size with less than 6 hp. They flew OK. But they were designed by folks with engineering degrees, a good grasp of math, and a decade or so of working for experienced experts.

Ok, so W. & O. Wright got a powered plane to fly, and they were just bike mechanics. Yes, but they first reviewed exactly what had gone wrong with dozens of previous attempts, built a wind tunnel to check their ideas, and crashed some obscene number of prototypes into the ground before they got one to work.

The point being.... engineering, whatever the field, is hard work, tedious work, and requires determination, effort, and a lot of research on what's been tried before. If you want to stray outside of what's commercially available and well proven, odds are you're going to break a few things, waste a few dollars, and make a few false starts. That's what experimentation is like- most of it doesn't work. If you're OK with that- then maybe in a few years you might find yourself in an engineering school :)

8. apex1

apex1 Guest

That was my idea too, that guy will not give up until he has found a way no one else has choosen! Right so, there are already too many of them believing Coca Cola were a divine drink and Mc Donald provided food!
    Regards
    Richard
    Btw ....what I fly .... just 45 Hp:

Attached Files:

9. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

When I answered Confused I didn't realized he was 13 years old. Being young and inexperience is not a bad thing, but you haven't learn yet the dangers of gasoline and flying pieces of steel.
    When I was a young my dad used to clean engines parts with gasoline. One day he started a gas engines and didn't realize that the bucket was 15 feet away. The whole place almost ended in a cinder.Thankfully no one got hurt. If you ever work with gasoline do it in safe place. And be far enough away that if it blows via fire or mechanical explosion you will not end up missing parts of your body.

Start simple, like a chainsaw, lawnmower engine. Work on remote control planes.

Real planes are not a matter your knowledge or age but are better left to real professionals. May be one day you can become one. My nephew, 18, just soloed and is his getting his pilot license. He is also studying airplane mechanics.

Play, but remember you need professional training for some things and don't be afraid to ask for help or play it safe.

Remember, There are Bold pilots and OLD Pilots but there are no OLD BOLD Pilots.

10. confused

confused New Member

I got my steam engine today. I used sewing machine oil to lube it, it works great! I need an attachment for the inlet valve to fit the airtank hose though. I can get it to run on my breath for awhile, but I run out of air and it isn't enough pressure. Today is also my birthday. I didn't know you had an airplane apex! cool!
    BTW, I know lots about airplanes, and I tested my span on a foil sim, and it could lift like 190 lbs at 15mph, and at 20, like 240lbs. I did the math, and it should work if I built it. I am also very interested in airplanes, and I know where to get the prop and pulleys and all the other crap I need.
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/arrowpropul.php

11. robherc

robherc Designer/Hobbyist

What project is the steam (pneumatic, it sounds like) engine for confused?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  12. apex1

apex1 Guest

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIKE ! ! ! ! ! !

I´ll reply later in deep!

13. confused

confused New Member

thanks! Ya know, I'll probably build an airplane if I stay out here in Nevada, where there are no nearby water sources. I could fly it out in the desert.
    Here are the bamboo poles I would use. They are the pefect size for my airplane/ultralight! I got the ideas for my airplane from alberto santos dumont, he made the demoiselle out of bamboo poles and brass wire.

14. apex1

apex1 Guest

15. confused

confused New Member

It is that one exactly, I havn't painted it yet.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.