How can I determine which prop to use?

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by Ed-H, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Ed-H

Ed-H Junior Member

Does anyone out there have some means of calculating which prop to use if certain parameters were known about the motor used and the boat used, or, is it just a trial and error endeavor?

1 person likes this.
  2. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

well you can usually guess what is going to be about right ...90 hp 13x19p etc but is it a big boat small engine or big boat big engine ?? ....The engine maker has a suggested prop or look at www.michiganwheel.com in the end you have to put one on and take it for a run at full throttle and trimmed up and measure the rpm ..then check the rpm range for your motor ..somewhere in the middle is about right and the rpm will change approx 400 rpm for every 2 inch change in the prop pitch

3. Ed-H

Ed-H Junior Member

Thanks PnB, I should have been more specific in my request. I am building a longtail like you did, but with the free 4hp BS (perhaps you remember me from the PMs I sent you). Given this info. how did you go about selecting the one you used on your 6.5hp? I know you used a 2.1 reduction, if memory serves me correctly, which would provide you with greater torque, and the ability to use a larger prop. What size rig are you using yours on? I will be using my on a 14ft. sneak/layout boat.

4. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

Generally, you cannot select propeller without knowledge about hull performance, but a useful rule of thumb for the first guess is:

Diameter=630*power^0.2/rpm^0.6; where power in HP, rpm is prop rotation in rev's per minute and the resulting diameter in inches.

A two-blade longtail screw is partly ventilating, meaning that you may get closer with an increase in the constant to, say 640.

To find the value for pitch, you have to have a basic idea on attainable speed. Without that, start with a first guess of a Pitch/Diameter ratio of ~0.8.

5. jonr

jonr Senior Member

Also depends on what you are optimizing for. Most people go for maximum speed, but acceleration or MPG may make more sense for you.

Acceleration - less pitch (reach higher rpm and output earlier)
    MPG - more pitch (keep load high, rpm and total output low)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.