How can a cheap American buy a HOUSE in the 1st. World ?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Mr Efficiency, Jan 12, 2012.

1. eyschulman

eyschulman Senior Member

The answer is to buy a used boat (they are cheap now) and live in it.

2. Boston

Boston Previous Member

working on it, but you also have to consider the maintenance costs and dock fees. I suppose if you owned your own mooring it might be different but you've still got maintenance costs which just might end up being more than a used boat is worth.

3. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Hoyt-- na dats not da squeeze box dats da piano accordin. Da squeeze box is da button accordin. Dem Portu-gese, dat was da bys dat got us all intr-sted. Wen dey use to tie up wit der fishin fleet in Sin Jon's. Dey used to play alot of football (soccer) too but we's never caght on to dat but dem squeeze boxes, now we's out plays dem. Yes by's some lard liptin good times we's haves.
    Hows dat WestVanHan , does ya ave an elkling wat i'm sayin ere:)
    In all honesty I don't have much of a Newfoundland accent, I grew up on a U.S. airbase in Stephenville(south west coast of the island) and was greatly influenced by the exposure.

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

5. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

I noticed a bit of TWANG to your writing Viking north. Must of been some southern boys stationed there.

Oh. re-reading I see it was south west coast. Bet you played cowboys as a lad.

6. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Boston that was one of the points i was making in post #28- I knew sailing was my passon and it is something one can do well up in years so volla! when i moved from the Island to Nova Scotia that was one of the top priorities in the purchase of my land here. As a result i have invested into that feature also, a dock, three morrings, and a concrete slipway into 8ft. water high tide. In addition we are located in a long 1/2 mile by 600ft. inner bay(deep channel) that feeds into a 3 mile by 1 mile deep outer bay that connects to the open ocean thru two deep 1/2 mile channels either side of two outer Islands. We can sneek into another big ajoining bay full of islands and channels if the open sea is too wild. It took me two years of searching to locate this spot and fufill my bucket list as far as home base is concerned. For me the wiser decision was not to invest with the idea of speculation gain but to invest in myself now and here--I.E. this is it, I simply shut down my buying and selling for gain and poured every cent of extra funds into my homestead --here to stay so to say.

7. Yobarnacle

congratulations Viking. You built a very nice home.

8. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Yo -don't play the squeeze box--tried but no bananas--play the git box but am limited to basic cords due to a free diving spearfishing accident. Hawaiian sling, big big salmon--pulled the spear back too far,, past the end of the barrel. It did not re enter the barrel but down along the outside and into my barrel holding hand. cut off two main leaders to my middle fingers and exited between the middle finger and the index finger. Didn't feel a thing was swimming deeper looking to retrieve my speer, at approx. 25ft. found it sticking in my hand after the line end hit me in the ribs. Fun and games--So as a result it's a challenge to chord but i get it done and have fun to boot. Oh and yes the service guys were from all over but mostly down south-- as a result my sisters married all southern boys-- also in our family history we have a distant cousin that was a Brig,General in the Confederate army so there are tie ins down south as well as of course more so New England.
    Back on subject--It's a big trade off, myself included, rarely is one luckey enough to be born into a good location geographically or money wise, so it's usually alot of years of hard work and good luck to get situated. One thing for sure you have to have a grubstake otherwise the dream location becomes a rock quarry equipped with 20pound sledge hammers to hang onto it. No location is perfect and there were a few bucket list items un fufilled --I.E. always sunny--fog free--no snow--ideally no winter but that would have meant i would have to leave Canada, my first choice ( good medical)-U.S. my second choice( medical too expensive)--Australia my third choice (too far from my roots). So i guess the start is Country selection-- then take it from there --make the list and start searching for the location that will mostly fill it.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  9. Boston

Boston Previous Member

way to go North, sounds like you found just the right spot

10. viking north

viking north VINLAND

The important point i forgot in my ramble above(I apologize I do ramble at times) was If I can do it most anybody can. I left home flat *** broke but with a high school education and a plan. Joining the military, fuging the appitude test to orient myself into the trade i needed for my secondary education got me into a money making situation once my term was up. Although I often debate if i was wise leaving before being pensioned off. :?: However we all have those 20-20 hinsights :).
    So my answer to the OP's question is definately yes-- want it enough-- make a plan of different approaches to achieve it and wheels start turning. So, "whats the plan man" ????? :D
    Thanks guys on your kind replys-- now a new plan I'm getting so dam old I need a plan to live long enough to play--have to go now got to chew up 60 booring minutes on the exercise machine, definately not a part of my list----

11. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

No need to buy a boat. The are free. The Baby Boomers bought so many boats with home equity credit that they are stacked up like cordwood, ready for disposal. At present 50 percent of all boats hauled at the local shipyard are waiting for the chain saw or a white knight buyer. These are 20 meter plastic 1980 motorboats. Ferreti and the like.

They buldoze boats just like they buldoze houses that cant be sold.

Imagine what will happen to the housing market in places like Florida. The market is dead and Climate Change catstrophic event insurance may no longer be viable. I would look for cheap houses in the hurricane belt

12. BPL

BPL Senior Member

Someone should transport those boats over here. Here 90% of free boats are in need of repairs that aren't worth doing. That's why they're free.

13. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

All boats need repairs . These repairs manytimes exceed the used boat market price. If you are looking for a boat...DRIVE A HARD BARGAIN. If the seller wont bite...walk away.

There is a nice Choy Lee "Midshipman" anchored in the harbour. The boat sat in the shipyard for years burning in the sun was without masts and needed a good cleanup. A young guy purchased it for the cost of launching...about 500 dollars and whatever paperwork was needed to transfer title.

14. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Three years ago while visiting a relative in Deltona Florida- I happened to drop into a small boat dealer to enquire about used hatches. I was told to look over several older fiberglass boats out back and see if there were any that might fit the bill.I found two on two different boats and asked for price. I was given two options-- $25 each if I removed them or free if I took the whole boat and as a bonus i could have a third boat as part of the deal if I would take all three. Totally baffled I asked again and got the same reply with a further: it's less cost for us to give them away than to cut them up and pay $1000 land fill charges. I bought the hatches but had I been prepared and had time i would have shipped them back to Canada for refit and sale. So yes it's a wild market out there if one does a bit of rock turning.

15. Yobarnacle

Wow! And I thought I got a good deal buying my Albin 25 AK for $1000 !