How 'bout that Home Depot (Baltic?) Birch?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by SD Sea Ray, Apr 2, 2018.

1. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

We're in agreement. I have seen a few voids in BS-1088, though this is over hundreds of inspected sheets. As a rule, it's very dependable. In the end, it's up to the purchaser to figure out what they have and if the supplier can be trusted. I have a few I rarely question, while others I always do. I've never seen a void in a Joubert sheet.

3. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Thanks for posting this, I have seen this before but I can't for the life of me see how this is an improvement over BS1088, in fact visually, looking at the edges it does not look near as good. I just don't get it, I see no reason to try to improve on BS 1088, to me its about as perfect a wood product as iv'e ever seen, I see no way to improve it.

4. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

My impression was that the requirement of a minimum stress grade of F14 is what set it above the British standard.
    Am I wrong ?

5. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

rr, i just realized i had not responded back to you, sorry. Could you explain what the F14 grade means. I suspect it may be something that tries to solve a problem that doesn't exist. By this I mean that i see arguments made all the time that material a is stronger than material b which only matters if material b is not adequate. I have used many hundreds of sheets of BS1088 from manufacturers from many nations and have never found it lacking in any way.

6. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Nope, I can’t, just slavishly regurgitating the promoional material.
    I was hoping somebody else could. :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.