Replacing the Fiberglass liner of a Tartan 30

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by cabinboy, Nov 10, 2006.

1. cabinboy

cabinboy Junior Member

I guess I have two questions. I have been given a Tartan 30 whose "only" woes are that a 3.5 foot section of her deck to hull joint as well as the toe rail are missing. The boat was bashed against a sea wall for an hour and rubbed away the edge of the boat for a good 3 feet right in the center. This ordeal also separated the liner in this section and pushed it inboard a good 2-3 inches.

After I repair the damage, can the liner be completely removed and replaced with a built in interior? The boat is sea worthy ( no hull damage below the waterline, The keel still needs to be checked visually but there are no cracked structures where the keel bolts are, engine checks out, rig is fine, very good decks, bilge is dry) except for this and a sprung hatch cover from the impact.

The other question is could I do this with other parts of the boat or are liners considered structural members.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.