how about stretching a Bolger light dory to 20', same beam.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Squidly-Diddly, Sep 29, 2011.

1. brucehallman

brucehallman Junior Member

The shape is simple enough that it could be built through lofting the lines given above. No, to my knowledge there is no website selling all or most Bolger plans. www.instantboats.com sells about a dozen of the more popular designs. I believe that if you send a postal letter to Phil Bolger's widow (an accomplished boat designer in her own right) that she sells the full sized plans. "Phil Bolger and Friends", P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930

Also this boat is featured in Harold Payson's book "Instant Boatbuilding with Dynamite Payson" (see chapter 13, which includes reduced size plans) ISBN: 978-0071472647

2. brucehallman

brucehallman Junior Member

I live in California, and built a 31 foot boat in a 20 garage by removing the back wall with a Sawsall.

3. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I hear you Bruce, repairing a simple wall in your typical

CA 'stack of sticks' is normally cheap and simple. Reminds of a buddy who suddenly got custody of 4 extra kids, and was renting a house from overseas absentee LandLord.

He cut a 6' wide hole in one wall and sort of attached an army surplus "structural" tent as seen in the TV series "MASH".

He saved the stucco rectangle and put it all back when he moved years later. Little chalk, sheetrock and paint and done.

4. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

I used to have one of those army surplus tents a long time ago, used it lots of times to take the family camping. One day we arrived at a campsite and I started the hour-long process of erecting the tent, while other families arrived, put up their modern lightweight tents in 15 minutes and were fixing supper by the time I finished with our tent.

That night we woke up by the wind, which was lifting the groundsheet with my wife and I on it. I got up, added a couple of extra guys, double-pegged a couple and tightened the others, then parked the car with a wheel over the upwind peg as a backup and went back to sleep.

Didn't hear a thing - except the wind - but next morning we all woke up to an empty campsite. everyone else had packed up during the night and left. In the next field trailers were lying on their side or resting against each other. But we all slept soundly. Heavy, yes, bulky - OK, but I never felt embarrassed afterwards over how long the tent took to erect or pack up.

The tent ended up being shipped to St. Kitts after a hurricane swept the island almost clear of houses. As far as I know it's still doing service someplace.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.