seeking John D. Little design

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Paul No Boat, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Paul No Boat

Paul No Boat Junior Member

Does anyone know where I can obtain a set of plans for a John D. Little catboat? I understand Mr. Little is deceased but his designs were sure artistic and I find a wooden boat forum but nobody has posted to it in years.

2. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

There are no plans....JD Little built by eye...the old way of doing things....

3. Paul No Boat

Oh wow! what a contrast to another thread I am following about the use of Bezier Curves. But I guess that would explain the "art" in his designs.

There is no way I could attempt a boat without a plan. Can you recommend any plans that would approximate this gorgeous catboat. a JD design.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/flanderscat/

I have tried to contact the boat's owner and creator of the website but no responce.

4. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

5. Paul No Boat

Thank You, Tad

Very close to what I am looking for. Only thing is I read it requires an advanced skill level and I am far from that. Ted Brewer has a similar plan as well which he tells me could be easily lapstrake although it is designed for plywood.

I have written to the owner of that John Little design and it was his first boat prject and came out beautifully. So I know it can be done.

6. alan white

alan white Senior Member

7. bassman1956

bassman1956 Guest

Hi all! New here.

I saw this post and had to comment. Seems I'm in a similar position as the OP, only, for a lack of "ME" left when I get home, not a lack of ability.

Anyways, I've been eyeing the Chebacco for some time. It wasn't until I picked up a copy of "Boats With An Open Mind" last summer that I really got enamored with her. It was the very pic you posted that made me want a lapstrake version.

Dynamite Payson's site only offers the plywood version. All other info I found suggested contacting Bolger & Friends. Well, he had just passed :( , so I waited until a couple months ago. I sent a request asking for info on all of the Chebacco versions (there are at least 4, maybe 5) and have not heard back. I do not know if Bolger & Friends are continuing. Such a loss!

8. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

The lines and offsets for the round (lapstrake or cold-molded) sided version are in Phil's book, Boats With An Open Mind. Buy the plans from Payson....presumably Susanne gets something from that....and build the boat. I think The Boatman or Watercraft published an extensive "how to build" series on the Chebacco a while back.....also there was a builders group on the web at one time.......

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.