how about a combo PWC & motorcycle?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Squidly-Diddly, Sep 11, 2011.

1. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Cool bike, but a lot of extra fluff on it. I would consider it a concept bike. A more practical model with a better price (way too expensive) would sell better.

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Yup...plenty of fluff, but then again this whole thread is a bit fluffy. Makes me chuckle when I hear folks propose an amphibious jet ski, motorbike, tender. These guys obviously never suffered " boat butt" wet *** syndrome or " Rib Foot" similar to trench foot from the great war or their morning Scramble eggs on the floor of the rib. To even consider getting wet again after a day of sailing wet, when going ashore, makes me..well..chuckle

3. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I thought vehicle(and power boat) reg was across the EU.

Isn't it common to drive across borders in the EU without any problems?

How does all that work?

I think it is OK to drive from USA to Canada or USA to Mexico(must have Mex Ins. or they keep the car in fender bender, and of course "other issues").

And I hear in Thailand whoever has the keys is considered the owner, period.

4. Squidly-Diddly

how about recumbent pedal bike and "Skeeter" pontoons?

http://www.waterskeeter.com/

To keep the center of gravity lower.

Skeeters weight about 60lbs.

5. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Sure... You can drive your French registered car to Spain just as easily as you can drive your New York Registered car to Ohio. In most places Foriegn plated cars are treated like the tourist who is driving them...3 months to match your visa or some other restriction.

But your not talking a registered vehicle....youre talking a Monster Garage Rig. Right away the police are going to stop you ...Hey You !! Ya You, with the Squidly Diddly haircut..you steal that rig ? Let me see the papers .

Somehow you will need paperwork.

6. Dave Gudeman

Dave Gudeman Senior Member

Those are good reasons to start with an existing road vehicle and modify it. At least in the US, as long as you don't remove required safety equipment, you can modify registered road vehicles pretty extensive and they are still considered registered.

7. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

LOL, shuttlebike, a frame with inflatable pontoons! They probably have a patent....

Years ago, I saw pics of a pontoon boat that had wheel wells in the deck and a roller system. The guy drove a class A motorhome on it and the front wheels were hooked to the rudder while the rear wheels provided the drive in the wheel wells. You drove the rig from inside the RV. Then the RV pulled the boat away.

In the 60s a guy had pontoons on a bike like shuttlecraft, solid toons, and a paddle wheel arrangement. Not really portable.

If I can get my hands on some decent tubes, I'll make my motorcycle/trailer/cat rig......finding the right tubes has been the problem for me.

Why do it? To ride to a river, float down the river and fish/camp and be able to come back without someone else having to come get me.

8. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

9. Squidly-Diddly

the WaterCar.com "gator" kit is only $29,000 and might be

best for ship to shore for larger boats. Either crane into water or more likely have a semi-submerged swim platform.

Looks like a real pig in the water though.

10. EvilBoater

EvilBoater New Member

So how about rigging a set of removable pontoons with an electric trolling motor to the scooter? You reach shore pull a couple of pins, and ride away. Makes me think it might be a fun and challenging project. (Better keep that scooter's engine and brakes dry or you'll have problems)

11. yipster

yipster designer

James Bond once used a waterbike in the move The Spy Who Loved Me. Its the actual engineering prototype of the first Wetbike ever built.
    This Wetbike was ridden by Roger Moore when Bond travels across the water from a nuclear submarine to Stomberg's oceanographic laboratory Atlantis.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    imagining incorporating wheels, if it didnt allreay had some, is not that crazy nor is the idea of a combo

12. Squidly-Diddly

Here is Generic JetSki based hybrid rough out.

The key is using twin waterjets, on either side of the rear wheel, which is retractable along its standard motorcycle rear swing-arm axis.

Maybe a fender/flap to divert water from the retracted wheel, or maybe not and not worry about it.

Front wheel also retracts along standard motorcycle front fork motion, just farther.

Tricky part is the gaping hole in the nose where the wheel must be able to turn at least 30'(?) left/right for 60' range, and what happens when water hits the hole.

Probably have circular plate which rotates with the forks, with an opening for the wheel, so there would only be an opening the size of the wheel slot.

Plus, once the jetski gets going the hole wont be in the water and wont create drag in normal operation. If it DOES plow into a wave it should be fine just be more "dissipation" than 'jump'. This craft isn't meant for typical Jetski super fast action.

How would it handle? Lord knows there are alot of overweight touring motorcycles out there, with a lot of riders unable to lift them if they fall over.

Yes, it would also need some training wheels, or more likely skids for coming to a stop or making the tricky Water-to-land transition on a ramp.

and Yipster is correct about adding wheels to water skis/floats. I believe that is common on snow ski aircraft. The wheel just kinda hangs barely down past the ski. Should work in water with some drag.

Attached Files:

13. Village_Idiot

Village_Idiot Senior Member

The GoldWing is one of the heaviest tourers out there, yet can be easily picked up by a normal person using the correct technique (backing into it). It also helps that the motorcycle has an extremely low CoG. I think there is a video demonstration somewhere of a 90y.o. (or thereabouts) petite woman picking up a GoldWing...

They make retractable training wheels for GoldWings marketed toward older drivers - I understand they work quite well.

I believe there are some airplane pontoons out there that have built-in wheels, also, but then that is getting away from your current design...

14. yipster

yipster designer

havent checked all airplane pontoons with wheels or did much brainstorming but the idea kept naggin
    anybody thought of something like a trike, as concept sinclair's electric bike could give a starting point
    [​IMG]

15. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Yes, I can see sides that simply rotate down 90' to provide flotation. A prop or jet could be used......electric boats can be very quick, but not for long. Same rig could be gas too.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.