how about a combo PWC & motorcycle?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Squidly-Diddly, Sep 11, 2011.

1. yipster

yipster designer

2. yipster

yipster designer

last night i saw on discovery "motor city motors" where jamie and dave each build a amfibious motor that can race on land and on sea..
    one bike had pontoons with waterjets build in, pontoons did not swing up and where almost as low as its wheels but it rode yet could not lean
    other brother build a threewheeler like i sketched before with an inboard and sort of lift-up sterndrive

thats what i made of it couse my electronic program guide switched channels
    before i could see if they ever were gonna hit the water, was missing some motown music too

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/motor-city-motors/episode-guide/episode-5-amphibion.html not a movie on this episode tho
    [​IMG]

3. spidennis

spidennis Chief Sawdust Sweeper

4. whipper

whipper Junior Member

The wheels, Spokes turn out and make like a paddle wheel effect on a bike. Add power and you could do it the same way but might be more effective and more performance orientated having the exhaust activate into a water jet that lowers into boat or PWC mode then couples with the drive. Even Chain driven.:idea:

You could effectivly have a 150-200 hp superbike like the Hyabusa that does over 70mph onwater also. Real simple to design. Ive designed one on paper. Looks really cool also. Ive always wanted to make one for myself but can barly afford to run my 97mph Allison GS and raise a family!!

5. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

6. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

here is kayak/recumbent bicycle rig.

pretty close to my lightweight moped motor version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoSLqm1aVvA&feature=related

too bad his video doesn't include it in action. My question is does it go from floating to land balancing without getting out and walking it up the ramp.

However, even if you need to do that the idea still has merit, and the dismount would get you an opportunity to take off life vest and don a bike helmet, and swap your plastic flip flops for shoes with socks.

pretty easy to envision it with a 50cc moped motor, belt drive to wheels geared down from 35mph+ to under 15 mph(for more ramp climbing ability).

I'd like retracting wheels for speed in water(I imagine a 50cc motor would be plenty for any kayak), but my old mountain bike(18sp) has been ridden in sandy surf repeatedly, with sand bearing salt water all up in the gears 3ft deep and it seems none the worse for wear, so soaking bike running gear not a total disaster.

These cat-kayaks might be good starting point for recumbent or even up-ride bike-moped/kayak hybrid, and might be easy to have retractable/liftable wheels front and back and not butcher the boat in the process....and be able to just unclamp a front and back rig and be back to 'boat only'.http://www.wavewalk.com/

7. yipster

yipster designer

8. Squidly-Diddly

Snowmoblie that floated at rest with 12" bike wheels along side the skis.

Have the wheels just under the skis enough to clear flat ground.

Or have twin tracks up front instead of skis.

Should be really good for making land fall on muddy shores or soft sand beaches. Not too good for any extended road touring.

How hard would it be to make a snowmobile float and be able to sit is some waves and still be boarded and engine started?

9. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

10. Squidly-Diddly

why no seats and that aluminum on the back?

Is that flotation in case motor or track busts so it doesn't sink to bottom of lake?

11. myark

myark Senior Member

12. Edsel

Edsel Junior Member

Gibbs Quadski in another topic by lewisboats is close to a motorcycle PWC. It does 45 mph on land and water. It's 10 feet long and its weight would require heavy davits or a platform designed around carrying a jetski.

13. yipster

yipster designer

14. Squidly-Diddly

That looks damn close to workable, Yipster. Only real problem I see is looks like the rider would have a tough time putting one foot on the ground like a normal motorcycle. About 6" short of practical.

Here are a couple of motorcycles on water, one regular dirt bike and one with special mods. Both need to hit the water at speed though.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYB7DYWI4G8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDi9uFcD7XI

Riding on water seems doable, just a matter of how SLOW you want to be able to do it, and how far you want the water to come up when stopped, and how much regular motorcycle capability you want. I'd go heavy on the on-water since I don't see a reason for full blown super-bike ability. If the bike can match what a 1960 Buick stationwagon does on land, but not take up so much parking space, that would be more than fine IMO.

I think the wheels (the part that isn't the tires) should serve as turbines (somehow) when starting from a stopped to get up on the plane.

15. yipster

yipster designer

good find Squidly-Diddly, just keep it floating :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.