would like some input on a houseboat design I am working on

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by uchenskoya, Sep 9, 2011.

1. uchenskoya

uchenskoya Junior Member

Hiya fella's ,new to the forum and would like some input on a design I am working on for a project.
    It's a houseboat.
    L60'xW16'xH14' weighing in around 28.6 tons. .25" hull plate,mixed frame and cad'ed with FreeCAD for linux.

Just wanna know if I am headed in the right direction.....

2. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Yes. But it's not a multihull, and this is a Multihull thread.

3. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

4. Rick Tyler

Rick Tyler Defenstrator in chief

Why not a flat-bottomed scow? It's not like it's going to be used in big waves or to cross oceans.

5. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Just putting my beak into something I know nothing about, but there seems to be a lot of stuff, ie cabinets cupboards etc. down one side.

I would have thought the weight incorporated in a craft would have to be equally distributed.

6. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

The displacement is quite high.. for a houseboat..?

7. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I would pay more attention to creating rounded superstructure elements.

You have a hull that looks like it is supposed to handle moderate conditions, but has really slab sided upper construction.

If you are towing or powering this baby in any kind of wind, it will be a real bugger to control.

Likewise, if you are moored or tied up in a decent blow, the thing will be banging and tugging really badly.

Wind is a really major problem for things on water.

But then .... you will have to learn how to do curves in you CAD programs, major problem.

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The structure looks "interesting", but I'll guess the key issues are initially hydrodynamic. How's you weight study come out? Did you get it to balance reasonably well? What type of loading did you anticipate on the deck structures, sufficient triangulation, etc.

9. peterAustralia

peterAustralia Senior Member

looks very nice..

obviously only suited to protected waters, but given that looks quite sound. The stern looks a little draggy, whereas the bow has some shaping. I agree that doing a little work to reduce windage could be advantageous. Also if it is only going to be used in protected waters, then why bother with the shallow vee bottom. a flat bottom would be easier to make and also rest flat on the shallows at low tide.

again, if your only going for protected waters, it looks fine, if going for other areas then something different would be prudent. There are some books of course on houseboats. The hull I think would be the most simple thing to build, the fittings inside would take all the time.

10. uchenskoya

uchenskoya Junior Member

first time designing.

Yeah this is my first attempt at boat design.I haven't a clue what I'm doing.I am hoping with research and constructive idea's I will let the idea evolve into a workable plan or boat.

11. uchenskoya

uchenskoya Junior Member

Also I would like it to handle inlet channels or maybe even the "Loop".I know ambitious right?

12. uchenskoya

uchenskoya Junior Member

I figure a line down the middle to balance the furniture and appliances would prolly help.But I don't know how to check balance on software yet.I could really use some opinions..or url's to look-up.

13. uchenskoya

uchenskoya Junior Member

Curves on a cad system are no problem.I am just thinking simple terms of construct so I don't have to use a lot of gas on fabrication.Right now I am just learning to cad an idea.I throw it out to the pro's and adjust the plans for a more applicable solution.I will look up adjusting Hydrodynamics virtually for now.I am also looking into formula's for calculating drag,balance and structural integrity for this project.Really wanna know more about "Scantling ".I figured the hull might be ok but the rest is more cad exploration.thank you all for your input and please keep it coming

14. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Work the hydrostatics and start up a reasonable weights assessment. You'll never get anywhere unless these two things get ironed down solidly. The structure and furniture locations are irrelevant if you can't predict where the boat will trim.

Yes, the "loop" is just out of the question for this boat, unless you install two 671 diesels.

There are several books, most available in the book store on this site that will help your knowledge quest. Avail yourself of the necessary concept and principle understandings, as you really can't "back door" your way into this, unless it's going to remain park at a dock on a calm lake, at which point it doesn't really matter how much material you throw at it or how well in can handle. As a rule, Winnebago's on barges don't do well in anything but a protected waterway.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/at...-retiement-houseboat-floating-home-ryd-47.jpg

The link is one of my designs, a 50' riverboat/houseboat. This is capable of the loop, though you'll pay dearly in some conditions. It's really just a protected waters boat, but has stout enough scantlings and reasonable enough hull form to do some cruising.

[​IMG]

15. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Or a steam era houseboat style ;)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.