How 2 get into boat restoration.

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Guest, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

hi. im intrested in boat restoration as a future hobbie or prehapes employment. im currently at collage studying physics,maths,chemisry and art and design. i was thinking of going to uni and doing a marine engineering.
    anyway. iv see in boatyards around the uk loads of boats just dumped and they seem to be in a reasnoble condition. i was thinking of saving up and getting a small 18" fiberglass boat prehaps and working on that over my hols and in my spare time. i was just wondering if any1 has any tips in what 2 look for in the boat.
    thanks.
    elena

2. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Hi Elena,

Although I once lived in the UK, I have been away so long that I am not familiar with what might be offered there nowadays. However, I have two US sources you can look into.

One is The Landing School in Kennebunkport, ME. www.landingschool.org. They teach boat design, boat building, and marine systems installation in one-year accredited resident courses. So much of boat restoration is in the systems, that you might get a lot out of it. This is a vocational school, so it requires only a high school (what I think you call O-levels) to get in. They love to accept foreign students, too.

The other link is the International Yacht Restoration School in Newport, RI. They teach restoration courses focusing on wood boats, power and sail, small and large. They run shorter courses from a few weeks to a full school term (3-4 months). Look for them, I think, and www.IYRS.org.

I have been professionally contected with both of these schools, and they are extremely good.

If you want to attend university, then you would do well to go to the Yacht Design Program at the University of Southampton. I know a number of people who have gone there, and they have done quite well for themselves.

Good luck, I hope that helps.

Eric W. Sponberg
    Naval Architect, PE (in the US) and CEng (in the UK)

3. pungolee

pungolee Senior Member

survey an 18 fiberglass

I would start by stepping into the boat,does the floor flex and feel thin?Does the outline of boards(stringers)show through the glass?Then you have a glass boat built upon wood frame.Extensive repair,once you cut out the glass covering with a jigsaw you may find all kind of horror.Look around the outside,does the glass(gelcoat)look rough,pimples or small holes?Bad layup when she was built/inferior resin.Interlux makes barrier coats to help this but you may need to start painting the thing with a whole system of products.Is there spider cracks running everywhere?Water is inside,trying to get out,and the hull is flexing where it shouldn't be.Is the hardware flaking?Cheap potmetal chromed over,unless its a classic the whole mess will have to be replaced.You didn't say sail or power,but if its power, look at the motor.Any early Johnson or Evinrude v-4 is heavy and underpowered,just because it has a motor these motors should detract from the price.The price of new outboards these days is akin to gold,think about this.Thats a good start,oh by the way,if the boat has a plastic windshield that needs replacing, these puppies are hard to find,everyone is looking for them....

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

As a surveyor, when clients ask me if a boat is worth buying, I start with assessing the market value of a boat in good condition. Add value for extra features or equipment and substract for cost of repairs or badly worn areas. It should give you the fair value of the boat "as is". The cost of repairs minus parts is your profit.