hovercraft

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by whitepointer23, Oct 11, 2014.

1. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

I don't even recall the recommended power off hand..but something in the 30-40 HP range surely. I will dig our modified UH-10 design files out and see what's in there.

2. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

A lift motor would only be 4 or 5 hp wouldn't it. The hovercraft is only 10 ft long.

3. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Late reply to this thread, but I would favor twin engine (and twin fan) for most applications. As discussed it is usually more stable and predictable.

Gross generalizations are just that, but single engine and fan are typically lighter and weight is the enemy which is why many racers still are single fan, single engine. Of course a high degree of operator skill is required in racing, so the challenges are simply adapted to.

The craft first discussed is a UH bag skirt design. Bag skirts are perhaps faster on the water, slower on land verses the other popular skirt -finger skirts.

Bag skirts might not allow for as much control (leaning into a turn) compared to finger skirts.

The uneasy craft pitching with finger skirts and constant balance corrections demanded often don't make them the best choice on cruiser craft.

EDIT
    I should note that separate lift fan and thrust fan driven by the same engine with perhaps use of a clutch (via belt in this UH case) is intended to provide the weight advantages of a single engine with the advantages of a dedicated lift system as previous discussed by BMcF. At least one high powered race craft has adopted this approach, and with great success.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014

4. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Whats your opinion of the sevtec explorer george.i like the idea of setting 1 up as a cabin cruiser.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.