24ft houseboat hull design needs a little help.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Mr Bud, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Mr Bud

Mr Bud New Member

Hi all,
    I'm new here and unsure where to ask my questions.....
    I have just finished building a 24ft pontoon boat with a gutted 17ft Avion campershell mounted on it. It is really nice and not crude. I tried just the two 24ft ..."D" shaped pontoons and they were fine until I added a little too much weight inside. So I added one thrid 20ft round pontoon in the center...this pontoon mounted about 4.5 inches lower in the water. It did pretty well but the back of the rig was a bit too low for my taste. So I built a set of tracks and slid both 20ft round pontoons under it....now it's a fourtoon....I have all the floatation I need and then some...now the center pontoons are taking most of the weight....lifting the outer ones up higher than normal....makes it a little tippy, but not unsafe....but there is too much water wake problems between the hulls...they are too close together...but it works...I kinda plans off with a 60hp Yamaha 2 stroke...apx 15+mph. I like the faster speed "when/if needed" .
    I think the only way I'm going to be happy..is to build my own hulls or hull....I would like to keep it a two hull design....Because I originally had a trap-door in the rear floor with pull out swim ladder or used for a fishing hole. I would really like to build a planning hull design with a slight "V" and go as wide as possible and go high enough to give me some freeboard for wakes hitting me. I have pull out walk boards on each side with hand rails...so the tops of the pontoons need to be flat. I weld alum awnings for a living and have a really nice BIG Miller Mig..I think I can buy most materials for around $2500...but not sure what thickness to get 1/8th or 1/16th? I guess the thinner I go the more bracing I will need.
    Anyway I am not a boat building pro and need a little help with this design...I have photos of the Rig but no weights so far... My guess is around 3000lbs Max. The flotation I have now is way more than needed but all were in the wrong configureations... that make the most design sence
    Should I go with full size barge type hull?
    I'm sure there are factors I left out ...so ask.Anyone willing to get involved with some advice?
    Bud

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.