Panama Canal

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by SouthernCross, Dec 29, 2006.

1. SouthernCross

SouthernCross Junior Member

I'm reading about these large yachts that have their masts limited to a certain height because they want to fit under the Bridge of the Americas at the Panama Canal.

exhibit A:

[​IMG]

Seems to me that all you gotta do is tip it over. Right? The yacht not the bridge. Then you can have as tall a mast as you want!

Here's what you do:
    1. Get a suitably large boat to come along side.
    2. Pass across a halyard. They tie it on.
    3. Reel in the halyard - the yacht tips over.
    4. Go under the bridge.

Like so...

[​IMG]

"But the steering and propulsion is all screwed up" I hear you say. No problem... just have a tender at the front to pull you through and one at the back to steer!

You only have to go 100m or so before your through and you'd do it on a nice day.

:cool:

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

And of course the Canal authorities would allow you to mess around like that and maybe clog the stretch up with a sunken yacht in one of the busiest (if not the busiest) artificial ship waterways in the world! Close that canal and the earning capacity of Panama halves in one!

Somehow I don't think so!

3. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

SC

Always best to pull from the first cosstrees when heeling a boat this way with a powerful boat, that is providing the mast has a full set of lowers, otherwise rig some runners, can be some high dynamic forces involved. Always pad the mast too.

It's the best tactic for towing a grounded yacht off, but as our last walrus posted the canal authorities are not going to let you in after measurement.

Cheers

4. SouthernCross

What could possibly go wrong?

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Have you heard of Murphy ?

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

You will break the mast. it is obvious from the drawing that it is an unstayed mast and as you can see the mast is already bending just above the deck.

You should turn around and go back down the canal and ask for your money back.

7. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Southern Cross

I use Corel Draw for my drawings and have used Cad.

But mate I've gotta get a copy of your programme that's awesome.

Poida

8. SouthernCross

Impressive isn't it. :cool:

MS Paint it is. But be warned - it takes years of practice to get to level of skill that i am at. ;)

9. SouthernCross

S'right. It's the latest flexible mast technology, honest. It's called ummm..... "flexi-mast".

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you had a boat with moveable ballast -water or tilting keel for example- it would be possible to gain some clearance.

11. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Hey Gonzo, yes it could be done but as I said earlier would the Canal Authorities allow you too?

I Dont think sooooo

12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If I was in charge, no. It is too much risk. However, I have heeled a boat over to go under a bridge instead of waiting for the opening.

13. BillyDoc

BillyDoc Senior Member

Ok, how much clearance are we talking about here? Sixty five feet like the intracostal waterway?

14. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Not sure if this is relevant to your case... but a canting-ballast boat such as a VO 70 can pass under bridges this way (for the VO 70, iirc, up to 30 feet lower than its 100-foot mast). Under engine alone (sails down!) the keel is cranked to maximum cant and the crew all move to that side as well, thus the boat rolls sideways, lowering the clearance height.

15. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.