new boat plans from the boat I have

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by watergator, Jan 21, 2014.

1. watergator

watergator New Member

Is it possible for a designer to take pictures and plans from the boat I have and increase size. Would this save time and cost as compared to starting from scratch. Wanting to end with full size frame patterns I can work with. The boat I have was a custom build 1960, 37' hull. Same construction as PT boat and looks like a military PT boat hull style, shallow draft and made to run the river. Thinking new design to be 50' and 16' beam. Like to try diesel engines with water jets this time. YOUTUBE " Helen Vee II " for launch video and boat style. Recommendations for design company in the Midwest? Input and thoughts please. :)

2. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

It's possible but the result will be disappointing.

No. You are suggesting an increase in length of 35%, and some increase of beam, plus a switch to diesel waterjets......This is an all new design. In 54 years there has been considerable progress in planing hull design, wood engineering, and construction methods. To duplicate shapes, methods, and engineering from 1960 would be silly.

http://vandamboats.com/

3. watergator

watergator New Member

Thanks for your information

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.