house bout with cat hulls

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by jawshunter, Dec 5, 2007.

1. jawshunter

jawshunter jawshunter

iam looking to make a house boat two storie with all the good stuff looking for blue prints and desing or some idieas please help its my6 first boat

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Jawshunter,
    (1) Welcome aboard boatdesign.net :)
    (2) Probably the single most dangerous issue with multi-level houseboats is stability. Simply put, the things have a very high centre of gravity for their beam (width). So there's a fair bit of math that needs to be done to ensure they don't capsize (and even then, people get 20 drunken guests on the top deck, and over it goes anyway).

You want something with "all the good stuff"..... and you probably want it to look like a boat, and not like a shipping crate? Something like http://www.boatdesign.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=7694 perhaps? That's one of PAR's designs (he's a regular on here), and he claims it's something that can be built by a dedicated amateur builder.

A two-level houseboat is, however, an awful lot to take on as a first project, and carries significant financial risk.... you may want to spend some time learning techniques on a smaller build before committing piles of money and time to a full-blown home on the water.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

[​IMG]

Yep, she can be home built easily enough, though it is a very ambitious project, much more so if a first project. I wouldn't recommend Belle as a first build. She's big, fairly complicated and will require several skills in different methods.

Belle's deck structures, especially the pilothouse and main cabin roof are especially light weight, for the reasons Matt mentioned. She's 16' wide which provides a firm base, but still a sizable hunk of boat well above the waterline.

Drop me an email (click on my name) for additional information.

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

jaws,
    I just noticed you're in Edmonton... is this project intended to be a river boat, then? (Whether you're looking to cruise river, little lake, big lake or ocean makes a big difference in what the folks on here will end up suggesting.)

5. yipster

yipster designer

thats looks very nice and sounds right guy's
    i drew 4 floors and havent really made stability calcs yet
    but have a look at a similar sized different approach

6. jawshunter

jawshunter jawshunter

how much money do you think this will cost it will be in a lake in bc arrow lakes but i want to live in it all year round with my family my uncle has a catamartan their 50 by 25 i wont mine to be 80 by50 or some thin what do you think i only want to build one like a house you would live in forever
    it a big lake and can get rough on the water

7. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

8. jawshunter

jawshunter jawshunter

i seen one it was i replaca of a steam bout with the guys jeep on it and had a wheel on the back of it but it had hulls

9. jawshunter

jawshunter jawshunter

just keep up the idieas so i can make up my mind not the house this thats a no but the first one was good but bigger and wider

10. jawshunter

jawshunter jawshunter

could you build a hukfinn with cat stle hull to make it longer????

11. Metalmagic

Metalmagic Metalmagic

Hey Jawshunter:
    Kootenay region lakes such as the Arrow, Kootenay and even some of the smaller lakes like the Slocan can and do get rough at times. I lived there for 50 years and built boats from 8 feet through 25 feet and most times you sat and watched the water for fear of drowning so yes build big. I am now on salt water and so far the lakes have been just as rough, the problem I see is shorter distance between swells.

12. jawshunter

jawshunter jawshunter

i need t design plans for two storie 70to 80 feet long 50 to 60 wide

13. Metalmagic

Metalmagic Metalmagic

residences

Hey JH:
    It looks like you are planning a boathouse not a boat, there are some plans on the net that may do for you. Where were you planning to moore the thing, at Argenta may be suicide cause some really big waves come from the North right into the Bay. Also I would think Nakusp is safe as it is somewhat protected. I am planning on building a 50-70 foot by 20-25 foot Catamaran barge, I have some good Ideas and I now need some profesional help.
    I plan to build a pilothouse on the rear with power being supplied by hydraulics. This would make a very good manuverable barge for Inter Island transport and feeding outer Island camps.
    At this point just an Idea.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.