Pocket Cruiser Catamaran

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by ineed2fly, Nov 29, 2012.

1. ineed2fly

ineed2fly Junior Member

Hello from New Zealand. I am looking to start a new boat project, I've built a few stitch and glue boats, started off with a PDR a few years ago, a few stitch and glue kayaks, and last summer just for kicks a 4' version of the PDR. This time around I'm looking at something more practical, and have been itching to build a catamaran for years, its what I learned to sail on, and grew up around. I've been looking around lots at plans for pocket cruisers, something we could do some coastal crusing on, with a small cabin for weekend trips, and something to explore the island on. I am leaning more towards a catamaran for that reason as well, there are thousands of hidden beaches to land on and nothing beats a cat for that. I've looked around, and havent had any luck finding plans for a pocket cruiser cat, only clones of racing cats.

http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=SailBoats/CatsPaw

That's the closest I've been able to find, and I was thinking something along the lines of that, I like the solid construction, with no trampoline, but I know nothing of boat construction and I don't know how much I can tweak without ruining the boat.

Ideally, I would like a 14' cat, with a deck from bow to stern, with a small cabin section on the bow, mini keels, (or no keels, but that's likely far beyond my skillset at this point) and if possible some storage in the hulls.

Essentially, a CLC pocket ship esque design, dropped on a multi hull platform, is this possible, or a pipe dream?

Thanks so much!

Nick

1 person likes this.
  2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Good luck, I wouldn't touch that with a 10' pole.

Way too short. Make sure you have center boards, dagger boards, or at least leeboards. Unless you just want to go down wind.

You would be better off with a monohull, and I don't like them.

3. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

4. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  5. ineed2fly

ineed2fly Junior Member

6. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

I think you are trying to squeeze way too much boat into your designe length. A 14' cat just isn't going to have enough load capacity to have much of anything in the cabin department. Even if you can find one, the weight and windage is going to kill any performance gain over just building a monohull.

My advice is either find a mono you like, or accept a larger boat.

7. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Attached Files:

8. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

If you want a small cabin you may want to go a little bigger, a Jarcat or one of K designs small cats.

Steve.

9. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

ineed2fly
    Hello from New ZEaland !! where are you now ?? :confused:

10. ineed2fly

ineed2fly Junior Member

The Hitia 14' er looks like the most likely candidate, but I am not stuck on a cat, I would just prefer one. If a monohull is better/easier then I am happy to go that route. Thinking that a scow would be my best bet. What would you think about tapering a goose hull design (12' version of the PDR) to a little bit more efficient hull shape? Taper the bow down to 3' wide ish, as well as the stern, with a little bit more of an angle to the lower transom? Again, I know nothing about boat design, and no idea how much small tweaks will effect the overall design. One of my kayaks got a Viking funeral, I'd rather not have the same thing happen on a much larger project. And I am in waihi beach new Zealand, I moved here from the states about 3 months ago.

11. ineed2fly

ineed2fly Junior Member

12. goodwilltoall

goodwilltoall Senior Member

Duckworks had an article about a Canadian who built a 16' bi-rig (one in each hull) catamaran. He put it on top of his station wagon, rode down to Mexico and made a trip across the stream to Cuba.

13. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Miss Cindy.

14. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

"some coastal crusing on, with a small cabin for weekend trips, and something to explore the island on"
    For a cabin, and load carrying capacity - that Ooze Goose is the good gear I think. If you need to, a small outboard will overcome adverse or no winds.

Monohulls carry a lot more, and at least you can get in out of the sun/rain/cold/dark if you like without having to muck around with tent wrestling.

However, cats are easier to wrestle to the water, and two kayaks can be broken into separate craft. I am currently working towards something like this.

Attached Files:

15. ineed2fly

ineed2fly Junior Member

Awesome! I've always wanted to build a sailing cat that breaks apart into 2 kayaks. But in any case it looks like the oozegoose would be my best bet. Thanks!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.