What to do with redundant stock?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by CML UK Ltd, Jun 8, 2010.

1. CML UK Ltd

CML UK Ltd GRP & FRP Plugs Mouldings

This was our solution

http://www.compositemouldings.com/recyclingscrapmaterial.aspx

We have a real problem with redundant stock being left over from projects. As many projects are one-offs, its not always easy to re-introduce wastage back into the next project.

I would be interested to find out any other ideas for this problem.

1 person likes this.
  2. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Offer to sell the scrap retail to people like me.
    Find a repair yard that needs it for patch jobs.

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Fiberglass victory gardens(window boxes).

4. CML UK Ltd

CML UK Ltd GRP & FRP Plugs Mouldings

Thanks for the ideas!

I think i'll get the phonebook out and try to find some one man band outfits that might have a use for this stock. They also have boat jumbles in the local area so maybe go to those.....

Hmmm... we dont have a mould for a window box but i suppose it wouldnt be that hard to create this!

5. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Great scheme CML UK ltd,
    I reckon it would be a great "tool" (pardon the pun) for training new employees & assessment of their skills etc.
    All the best in your business from Jeff.

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Step-stools, bird-baths, bicycle seats, tool-boxes, propellers, oil drain-pans and many other small items can be made from this stuff. You might also approach schools which teach shop class and maybe get a tax write-off for donating educational materials.

7. Herman

Herman Senior Member

I know of a company that buys excess fibrous stock. (YF International).

Also, the DIY market can be an idea, depending on the material used. Or have your workers a go with the dinghy mold indeed. Could also be done on saturdays, tell your workers to clean up the workplace the first 2 hours, then spend the rest of the day creating "stuff" which they can have, use or sell.
    Disadvantage is, depending on your workers, that they will "create" scrap to finish their projects.

For materials that are still widely usable, but not in your workshop, there are even websites where you can advertise it. We have one in the Netherlands for that. Works quite well. (I work at a wholesaler, and we dump our overstock there). www.composietenmarkt.nl

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.