Anti fouling

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by LOHI, Jan 26, 2006.

1. LOHI

LOHI New Member

If I put anti fouling on my aluminum hull boat, and a small area is left exposed or wears thru, will that area corrode at a rapid rate?

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Why would you want to? leave a bit unpainted I mean!:confused:

If your going to leave a bit unpainted why bother to paint at all? Save some money, don't paint! OK you'll go pretty damn slow with all the s*** on the bottom but maybe you like going slowly! :p

If however a bit chips off which is what your really worried about I wouldn't panic, get it done as and when - sooner rather than later but I certainly wouldn't panic!:cool:

Now if I had a great big bit of copper hanging down and no anodes then I would panic, :( :( but paint, naw

3. mastcolin

mastcolin Senior Member

You should put primer on the hull 1st. I wouldn't suggest putting the af on direct. Once you've primed, that stops the corrision on the alloy. The af just helps keep the green off.

Make sure the af is alloy compatible. Pure copper oxide ones will eat holes if you scratch through.

4. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

To do a proper job on an immersed Al hull; You should paint the underwater part of the hull with at least two coats of epoxy extending well above the waterline. Then anti-foul. You will also need anodes.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.