new guy ... ohhhh here we go.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Safe2breathe, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Safe2breathe

Safe2breathe Junior Member

so - been looking and looking and looking at boats - and everything i see that im actually fond of i think ... pretty sure i could build that for less... so here is basically what i have in mind.

[​IMG]

or a mix between a scooter http://www.glen-l.com/designs/special/scooter.html
    and a simple poling skiff...

first has anyone done anything close to this that may already have a thread i can read through ...

please all check out the plans and tell me what flaws i have -- the 6 in can be none - 2 4 whatever - just thinking a little lip wouldnt be a bad idea - dunno why...

gonna need input on the actual hull - framing etc keeping in mind id like to go shallow (keeping it light) - but has to weigh out with strength ... it will be fiberglassed and foam filled - wouldnt mind separate compartments or sections so in case i bust a hole it will be isolated ... help me out folks.

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Its not all that difficult for a beginner to build something cheaper than you can buy it readymade, but this design proves that it isnt easier for a novice to design something better .

Why dont you just get a proven design, and build it from plan ?

This will float, but you havnt done the basic weight table to specify what loads it can handle, or the size of the motor, etc.

By asking for framing and material specs, you are asking for a weeks work from us, for something you could pay $50 ( or maybe even free) in a proven design.

3. maggie42

maggie42 Junior Member

Hi
    I have had a couple of home made dingy's simular to this type

I gather you are going for a barge bottom to keep it simple?

I have had both cat and the flat bottom ... if you do build I would stick with the barge as a 1st time builder as it is less complicated.

but if you can I would try to develop a scow bow to soften the bow as the barge bow does push the water up a bit and can be a bit wet...!
    Just have fun with it .....
    the only way to learn is to jump in and do it!!!!!

I would stiffen it with the boxing the seats
    and add a small bow bulk head
    for storage with cut outs etc... to stiffen it up some more.

cheers Maggie

4. Safe2breathe

I understand - I'm not looking for anything better designed - but a new versions of this boat "the scooter" - run about 25k$ -__- a good used one 7-10k - and the entire thing would be boxed - there are no seats at all ... Here's the list of materials from one site - http://www.glen-l.com/designs/special/scooter-bom.html - and seems about right - and I could go with this - just not real thrilled about dropping 100$ on plans (that's just money away from materials and such) are there any free ones or sites that are good etc.

5. Safe2breathe

Also one thing I was just thinking about - how difficult would it be to utilize the motor etc and convert this to a jet drive? ;)

6. micah719

micah719 Plotting Dreamer

G'day, S2B, your sketch brought to mind a boat some likeminded folks have built and currently live on....I came across it, and them, when researching Bolger's AS29. Here's a pic to whet your appetite, and the link:

[​IMG]

http://www.triloboats.com/

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  7. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Can you see an anomaly here ?

To even think about jet drives, or engines for that matter you are talking many hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

You need to get away from the mentality that plans are an optional item. Every dollar you spend on plans represents savings from hours of mistakes and rethinking by you during building.

Every dollar spent on plans will be offset by a bigger saving from buying wasted, out of spec materials.

Each dollar you spend on plans ensures you end up with a design that is safe and long lasting.

8. tomas

tomas Senior Member

Is saving $100 on plans really economical?

Isn't your time and effort also worth money?

9. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

:!: X2 :!:

10. messabout

messabout Senior Member

What are you going to do with this boat? Where will you be using it, salt water or fresh water lakes and streams? What size motor do you figure to use? Is speed, economy, or comfort your priority? You can not have them all. Why are you thinking of a jet drive?

Answer all those questions and then we can go from there with some advice and council.

Twelve inches is not enough height for the sides of your boat unless you are using it on a small pond. Six inches of space or foam in the bottom is a not a good idea. If you capsize the boat it will float upside down. Put the flotation boxes where they will do the most good, not in the floor. If you build from wood, all that foam will promote rot in a year or two. . If you used 6" of foam the boat will be heavy. The weight of that stuff is not insignificant. The boat you have drawn is a flat bottomed planing boat and it will pound your eye teeth out if you run it fast in even a small chop. Why have you added boxes on the lower transom? There are a few more questions that need to be addressed before you start building.

11. maggie42

maggie42 Junior Member

Ahhh... jet drives?

I would keep it simple....

the harder you push a flat bottom the more water it will pound on....

You will find then a flat bottom is not any good for rough chop water...

The drawing you showed is ok for a small week end tender boat

If you are thinking of a larger craft yes I would then consider buying some plans....

Bolger is considered to be the best designer for flat panel boats both large and small...

Cheers Maggie

12. Safe2breathe

Ok apparently you all aren't familiar at all with south texas boating ... We run very skinny - most of the water I fish (live within a mile of the bay) is less than 4 feet ...and alot of that under 2 as far as jet drive goes I can usually buy a jetski for less than I can an outboard.... Just tossing some thoughts around -- and I see your (good) point on the plans ... Just wish they were a little less I suppose...

13. Safe2breathe

And they call them buoyancy pods (some call the transoons - transom pontoon )
    They keep a little better balance and keep lift in the rear especially during the hole shot ( when you're taking off and your boat sucks the rear down ) where as your normally need say 10in to get up on top the pods keep you at needin only 7in also if the boat is rolling etc they act as extra balance flotation

14. Safe2breathe

15. messabout

messabout Senior Member

OK Safe2 you answered the questions. The pictures in your link show flat water in every case. If those are the conditions where you fish, then low sided flatties or even the Scooters will be suitable for the job. Actually I think the scooters are pretty cute, easy enough to build too.

There are some threads on the forum that have the builder installing a jetski drive mechanism in a closed boat. That'll work. Not the most economical way to go, but it would serve the flats fisherman's purpose.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.