Please explain "built down hull"

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Corpus Skipper, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

While looking around for the "perfect boat";) I came across the term "built down hull" in reference to lobster type hulls. No one offered an explanation of this term, and I guess in New England it is common knowledge, but not here in Texas! What does this mean, and what advantage(s) does it have over "conventional" hulls? Thanks.

2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

In a "built-down" hull the planking forms the "tuck" in the transition from the hull to the skeg. Internally this forms a well that the shaft runs and allows a short bore-hole through the sternpost. In a "skeg" hull, the planking follows the hull buttock lines in a flowing line to the transom, and the skeg is built up of deadwoods and bolted through the keel. This is easier to build, but requires a long shaft bore-hole.

There are very vocal camps on both sides of the question of which method is best. Please be aware that I grew up in "built-down" country, so I may be biased. The pro - con arguments (assuming traditional plank-on-frame wooden construction) run like this:

a built-down hull is stronger
    a built-down hull is more prone to garboard rot
    a skeg hull is faster because of less wetted surface
    a skeg hull is prone to becoming loose due to working of the keelbolts
    a skeg hull is easier to build
    a built-down hull is more seaworthy
    and on and on and on ....

[​IMG]

3. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Thanks mmd, more info to chew on.........:)

4. mmd

mmd Senior Member

This is the illustration I tried to load. Built-down is on the left, skeg-built on the right.

Attached Files: