Lofting from a half hull model

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Guest, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I was wondering if anybody can inform me on the details of how to take lines off a half hull model.

Furthermore, short of writing up a table of offsets from the lines, and sticking them into some boat design software and run the numbers through the computer, does anybody know how to make sure that the design of the half hull is safe?

Cheers.

Annas Alamudi

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There are several method of taking the lines from a half model. Normaly, they are built from boards whose thickness corresponds to the waterlines. Another method is to make a baseline, measure with dividers and scale to your drawing. The safety of your design has much more involved than a program can give you. For example, the use intended, weather conditions expected, construction materials, etc. I suggest you hire a designer or NA to make a set of lines, building details set and take out list.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.