Model Question

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by pizbo, May 31, 2007.

1. pizbo

pizbo New Member

I am limited by only being able to tow 1250 pounds (minus 300 with people in the car). I found a lightweight trailor and am looking at what my options are as far as sailboats are concerned. I'd like to have something small but with a small cabin that one could potentially sleep in ;) . Any suggestions would be great. thanks!

-Doug

bty - This is my first time on this forum and I really like what you guys have here.

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Doug:
    Your options are limited but there are some small boats out ther that might fit your situation. Try googling Trailer Sailer association. The trailer sailers have a variety of boats and some of them are very small.

A boat that comes to mind is Phil Bolgers "Micro" It is crude and ugly but it works remarkably well. There are others....Try Peep Hen or West Wight Potter. As you search around you will find quite a few designs that'll fit the category.

If you have a really small tow vehicle...say something like a Geo Metro, Suzuki Swift, or similar, then you'll need to be leaning toward the light weight type of boat. Remember That you will be launching the boat, probably, at a ramp some place. Launching may not be difficult but retrieving up a steep ramp may become problematic. Light weight is desirable for good boat performance as well. While you are at it, do consider the brake capacity of your vehicle. It is easier to stop a light rig than a heavy one.

3. RHP

RHP Senior Member

The Drascombe range of open boats are very popular day sailers/campers in the UK and europe. The Coaster has a two berth cuddy. Being trailer/day boats they were designed to be light and simple, quick to prepare off the trailer etc.. Let us know what you decide.

http://www.drascombe.co.uk/

4. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Pizbo, a Hartly TS16 might suit you. Jeff.:)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.