types of epoxy

Discussion in 'Materials' started by ozaffect, Jun 29, 2011.

1. ozaffect

ozaffect Junior Member

im going to start building my ply boat this weekend but wondered what type of epoxy resin i needed and where to find it in the uk

cheers oz

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you are working to a design, use whatever the designer specified.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

There are about a half a dozen very different resin types with epoxy, but you only need one: a marine grade laminating resin. All of the major formulators have this basic type of resin. I'd recommend Marinepoxy (www.bateau.com) as the cheapest, reliable marine grade you'll find. In the UK, we'll have to wait for some of our European members to offer recommendations to specific brands available. Gonzo, what did they use when you where over there?

4. apollo_clipper

apollo_clipper New Member

E-Bond epoxy- Any info or advice?

There is a local boat repair shop that is closing up shop and has some "E-Bond" marine epoxy resin and hardener for sale. Does anyone have any experience or info on this brand. He says that he got it from Merritt Supply and is relatively new stuff (less than a year old).

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

EJD
    Tampa, FL

5. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

I havnt used their laminating epoxy but have been using their thin epoxy for 20-30 years and buy it from them direct.
    Steve.

6. apollo_clipper

apollo_clipper New Member

Hi steve,

Thanks for replying. I've only used west system, system three, and fgci epoxy. So, I might just get a small amount to see how it works out, especially amine blush and ease of wetout.

Cheers,

EJD

7. Herman

Herman Senior Member

For the UK guy:

Get either West System (105/205 as a fast one, or 105/206 as a slower one) or Sicomin SR5550 resin and SD5505 (fast) or SD5503 (slow) hardener. The Sicomin stuff has the advantage that SD5504 hardener can be used for excellent coatings.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.