evinrude carb jetting

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by pcriger, Aug 26, 2006.

1. pcriger

pcriger New Member

Hi, my name is russ. My question is that I am rebuilding the carbs on my 1986 evinrude 200. They are the plastic carbs. My Clymer and Seeloc manuals say to remove the intermediate air bleed and idle air bleed orifices to clean. When I removed them I found that the top orifices, or the intermediate air bleed orifices, were not orifices at all. They were actuall just plugs. The idle air bleed orifices were a #20. Is this correct for these carburetors. I would have thought that they would have had orfices for the intermediat air bleed. The number on the metal plate on the side of the carburetors is 398021 and down below that is MX 1 EL. There is a casting number on the opposite side of the carburetor of 397340. If some one could help me answer this question I would appreciate it. The problem i am having is that I bought this motor rebuilt from some one who bought it from some one else. The boat idles ok and has good top speed, 60mph. But wont come up on plane very good at all. I tried pulling a 120 pound kid on an innertube at the lake and it took forever to come up on a plane. With 3 200lb men and a cooler of (pop) in the boat it took at least a hundred yards to plane out. Once it gets up, you better be hangin on cause it really goes. It is a 1982 cajun fiberglass boat 17 1/2 feet long. I use a raker 22 probe, stainless, and an aluminum 19 prop. Same results with any prop. The motor actually kind of shakes and sounds terrible like it is missing when you first push the throttle down, then it comes out of it and starts to slowly come up on plane. And like I said, once it is on plane, it really goes. I hope someone can help me with this. I am planning on going to the lake with a bunch of friends next weekend and we want to take the boat.

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

You say it sounds like its missing? well if it is then it will explain your problem. Have you tried a new set of plugs. If it were my engine I would simulate the missing under load and kill the motor just before it clears and read the plugs.
    If it idles well and pulls well at high RPM theres not a lot wrong with the carbs.

You could also try a low gap test that is reduce gaps to a smaller Oh say 20 thou and try that any weakness in the ignition system would then be overcome by an easy plug.

3. Monkaroo

Monkaroo Junior Member

Hello pcrigger , I have been having a simular problem with my 175 Evinrude . My engine will bog and completely die out if I don't push the ignition key in and make the choke give it a shot of gas . When I choke it , it gets a bite and comes right out of the hole . I haven't solved my problem yet either , but I was wondering if you are running a hydrafoil fin on your foot . I have the same pitch props as you mentioned and decided to remove my hydrafoil to see how it would react , and it would dig for a long way before it would come out of the hole . With the hydrafoil mounted it jumps out like a cat . I could not beleive the difference . Have you tried choking it while you are taking off to see what it does ?

4. Monkaroo

Monkaroo Junior Member

I'm trying to figure out how to use the forums . I hope I'm not repeating myself . Try this link for diagrams and part number information on your motor .
    www.evinrude.com

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  5. Monkaroo

Monkaroo Junior Member

Sorry man , it wouldn't let me complete the link . I'm gonna try it one more time . Finish the link as follows ( -en-US-Accessories-Literature-Engine.Diagrams.htm ) without the parenthesis of course . I clicked it after sending it to ya and it wouldn't work . Finish the Evinrude link with exactly what is entered in parenthesis . It's the best information I have found .

6. ditchpickle

ditchpickle New Member

got a 90hp evinrude 1985 on a 16.5' larson runabout . gas gushing out of bottom carb. will not run on bottom cylinders , two years sitting ,started out by cleaning carbs .top carb was not getting gas to cyl.s cleaned again ran great in tank ,took out ran good till backing out of throttle and getting back into it. thats when bottom carb started gushing gas out. clean again plus new plugs, new fuel lines,main fuel line from tank and new tanks. still gushing gas out . any advice ?needle valve on float is not sticking moves freely with float.

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Maybe it is but the float mechanism when starting from a dry bowl is obviously sticking .The fuel can not get in any other way. A simple fix is to tap the bowl with a blunt light instrument like a screw driver handle. This jigggles the float loose.

A common prob on outboards. Once the float has been raised to its position they are usually ok

8. Monkaroo

Monkaroo Junior Member

Float adjustment

Sounds to me like the float might be bottoming out before it closes the valve . Might need to do a little adjusting on it . You'll have to bend the tab on the float to adjust it , careful not to over do it though or you won't get enough gas in the bowl . The top of the float should be parallel to the surface of the carb when the needle seats . When I say surface of the carb I'm talking about the surface that the bowl mates up to . A good way to do it is to turn the carb upside down with the bowl off of it and look at it from the side . The top of the float should be parallel to the surface that the bowl bolts up to . No doubt the neddle is not shutting off the fuel for some reason and if it's clean , and the rubber tip is in good shape on the needle , it would almost have to be out of adjustment .

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.