Trojan 31 ?? Need Help

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by OTTI, Nov 18, 2015.

1. OTTI

OTTI Junior Member

Hello together, my Name ist Otti and im from South of Germany.
    My new Project is to like to buy a Trojan wooden yacht.
    But im not sure about year of Building an much more things.
    Use Information is it possible to buy this ship?
    Rebuild is much work i know, but im sure ist makes many fun.
    Search Informationen about this ship, so much.

Many thanks to all.

Otti

Attached Files:

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You could build a new one for cheaper. You'll find a boat of that age in such a state of desrepair is good only for salvage of parts. The engines look neglected too. Your best choice, if you really want to invest money on it, is to get a survey first. Unless you get it for free and have a place to work on the boat for a few years, it is a bad idea.

3. OTTI

OTTI Junior Member

Hi Gonzo, thanks for Information.
    The Price are 3500€ is cheap.
    Yes i have a Place for free, for rebuild.
    I dont use the old Engines.
    Please Tell ne more about Type of the Ship?
    Which year is this one?

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you don't get it for free it is expensive. Some places will pay you to take a derelict like that away. There are obvious patches of epoxy, which were a bad attempt of a repair. If you have a place for free, build a new boat. It takes less time, less money and less experience. To repair a boat properly, you need to understand the methods used to build it.

5. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

no motorbike is as expensive as a free motorbike -goes the saying on vintage bike forum I follow. And it is exactly true. People want to buy a bike for 0-500 dollars and then rebuild it - it is MUCH cheaper to buy a 2000 dollar bike instead.

This goes to boats too but likely even much more so.

Buy the best you can afford or save until you can. Buying a total project "to save money" is a sign of not knowing imo.

6. OTTI

OTTI Junior Member

Thanks, but anybody know's more about the Trojan on my Pictures?
    It's a 31 or what is for a ship. Is from Trojan Yachts Company.
    But I hope to become more informsation about this ship.
    It is completely wooden.

7. OTTI

OTTI Junior Member

More pictures

Here are some more Pictures.

Can anyone tell me something about the boat ?
    What is a Trojan for 31 or 32 ? The owner says the boat was built in the 1976th
    The boat is built entirely of wood .

Who can say when the boat was built in what year ?
    Does anyone have the same boat ?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Is the builder plate still on it? The hull number will help get the year it was built. From the photo, the first thing I noticed is an illegal and dangerous fuel system installation. There is a remote pump connected with a rubber hose to the carburetor. In an engine of that age, you should replace the exhaust system. Even small pinholes will let water into the cylinders when the engine is stopped.

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

The Trojans were well built and typical of the era. This boat was done at the end of the wooden boat manufactures run, as most had started to switch to 'glass production techniques. A number of builders, Trojan being one, delayed the switch as long as possible. The Bertram group purchased Trojan in the 70's and they all but ended production by the late 80's. As to the year of this boat, well a hull number will tell all, once you find it. I can tell you it's the last of the wooden sea skiff builds, so this places it in the mid to late 60's.

Repairs to this boat depend on it's current condition, which doesn't look good. The first thing you should do, is have the boat surveyed by a certified person, familiar with these old wooden Trojans. Most insurance companies have a few guys that specialize in these, but there aren't many of us left. Once you have the assessment of her condition, the surveyor can offer a plan of action, in regard to the major issues.

To be completely honest with you, unless you have a great deal of experience repairing and restoring old wooden boats, you should just walk away from this project. This is a huge project for one person, especially if you have limited previous experience.

10. Asleep Helmsman

Asleep Helmsman Senior Member

Are you prepared to put in several thousand hours of effort to restore this boat?

And then, because it's a wooden boat, several hundred hours every year after that?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.