Home made hydraulic tranny

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by stimulak, Jul 30, 2003.

1. outthere

outthere New Member

hydaulics

kind of new herebut..

gonzo is way to conservitive for me. Guess that happens when you are a surveyer. Dangerous hydraulic hoses and all- what about gas engine spinning pulleys? I work in industrial control systems for industry and they have many more safety itgems then boats! All turning pulleys are covered. Sure hydraulic lines can burst, but a litle inspection goes a long way. This continual thing of saying nothing off the shelf for industry is good for marine use is bogus. Its usually better and cheaper. Anyway , very interested in hydraulic drive systems for boats. ALso, electrical drive. Much superior to straight drive systems.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I have built many high performance boats. My statements are based on experience and good research. Vague claims are easy to make. Outthere, please show a design that validates your statement. As for electrical or hydraulic drives being better, give me the numbers for efficiency and durability.

3. Dynaset

Dynaset Junior Member

Hydraulic power everywhere

Look at more: Link

4. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

"A stroll down the commercial docks could be instructive to all recreational boaters."

Quite true. Hydraulic power is used over the commercial fleet in all sorts of applications. It is by no means abnormal to see fish boats with good sized auxillary diesels that do nothing but power the hydraulics. All sorts of hydraulics doing all sorts of things. The hydraulic system doesn't really care what the motor or ram is doing on the other end of the hose. As long as the system can keep up with the demand all is well. Heat is the price you pay for ineffiency. People work around high pressure hydraulic pipes and hoses all day every day, common sense and standard practices suffice.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Maybe you could use hydraulics to ram common sense into people ;)

6. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

Nope, it's been tried. :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.