Home made filler

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Frosty, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

For some time now I have made my own filler with vinyl resin and talc powder and I feel it has been very successful.

In my past I have bought tons of bog for filling and faring car body work vastly overpriced ,---I wont ever be doing that again. The bog you buy is no better and home made bog smells identical hardens the same and sands down the same.

Yesterday I needed some white bedding compound of some sort,--I had nothing but black. it was only a fitting to go into the engine room hatch drain so I used un hardened bog. You could mix it up real thick if you wanted and it will air dry after a while.

It worked fine,-- wiped off the excess easy and I expect it to harden only slightly and stay able to absorb movement.

Opening a tube of Sika for a small application like that would be a waste.

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Poly bog starts its life with just poly resin but they use a differant promotor and catalyst system thats all so if you add you poly resin to your bog some times it wont go hard at all , the two systems usually are not compatable with each other !. Auto bog you can make with aerosill , talc and q cells and a small amount of micro fibres to hold it together .
    The old days we used to be able to get flexi polyester resin to add and that was amazing stuff , bog never cracked at all . Used to use flexi resin and standard poly 50/50 and seal balsa cores before we laid the glass . it was impossible to get the glass off the balsa when it was hard and cured it had so much bonding was also used inthe slurry the Balsa was set into !!.
    Now days its called Corebond , 1970/80s we made our own from recipies scribbled on the workshop wall . :eek:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.