Holland Yachts. Your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by djaus, Apr 30, 2015.

1. djaus

djaus Salted Nut!

Hi, I'm Dirk (from down under)

So my sister is thinking about buying this 25ft Holland in Western Australia.

She & her partner have been sailing with friends around Bunbury W.A for about a year, & they have yachty friends that should steer them in the right direction, regarding sound advice & a worthy purchase.

So share your thoughts if you please on the Holland design. Any & all info would be helpful so I can pass the info on.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It's a good boat, though typical of the first generation IOR's from the 70's. If it wasn't raced hard, she should be workable. Get a survey before purchase and don't trust anyone else's survey, except the one you contract to have performed, regardless of what they might have to say.

3. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

All that talk about being the best she's ever had. The luv you longtime. you mean its all lies.

4. PAR

No Brendan, just that it's a typical early IOR racer hull form, with their weird measurement quirks, that forced odd hull shapes. They sail fine, though some designs can be twitchy down wind, I don't know about this specific design's manners though. As a cruiser, she's going to be wanting for storage space and capacity, but if they don't take a lot of gear/guests, they'll be fine.

5. pogo

pogo ingenious dilletante

6. CT249

CT249 Senior Member

/\ Pretty close, but the Aussie Holland 25 is a slight modification of the Kiwi 24; the Aussie boat has a few inches more beam and a slightly reshaped transom and rudder. I don't think there is a single "real" Kiwi 24/Eygthene in Australia so I don't know how they compare in performance, but they are very very similar in shape.

7. PAR

I talked with an Australian buddy who's familiar with these Holland designs and he suggests they are less temperamental than other IOR's of the era.

8. ALL AT SEA

ALL AT SEA Junior Member

Spent many years crewing a Holland 25, and sometimes skippering. Tough little boats, loads of deck space due to their generous beam, and good headroom for a 25 footer. They go great upwind, even into a full blown gale provided you have the right sail set. also good running square under kite, though avoiding the death roles takes a strady hand. Great little boat in my humble oppinion.

9. djaus

djaus Salted Nut!

Ok, thanks guys.
    I value the opinions on this forum.

Ultimately you can't tell my sis' anything, she makes her own way through life. I know she's going to read this too, so hi Narelle !!!

Apparently the boat looks good, I've told her that having a survey done would serve her well, although she does have good people around her, those she sails with etc, & one guy that knows the yachts history... I think.
    I'm on the other side of AUS, so I can only work with what little info I'm getting.

Time will tell.

10. bpw

bpw Senior Member

A survey will almost always pay for itself in a cheaper purchase, and one will be needed for insurance anyways so get it now.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.