New Designer.... Tips? Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by cturboaddict, Sep 2, 2011.

1. cturboaddict

cturboaddict Junior Member

Hey guys, im a full time CAD student and I'm loving it. Of course we're doing small items, mostly im fairly good at Auto Cad at the moment.
    Im taking 3 Cad classes this sememster towards my degree but we mainly work in AutoDesk products. Ive just started this year in Inventor, and i really do enjoy it more over AutoCAD (could just be the solid modeling in 3D)...

Any suggestions on other programs to study/work in to get better at hull designs /boat manufacturing. Any classes or specialties that help? Of course that would be my dream to get to, but ive got to get all of my basics down before i jump in head first.

I can sketch my drawings for the draft, but my biggest problem is getting correct dimensions for putting them into any software. I would love to just replicate my own boat into CAD if possible... Seeing its too d*mn hot to sand it for more primer at the moment, I'd rather hone my CAD skills and get my boat in there to modify it and play around...

2. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

CAD is definitely not getting the "basics down".
    Try mathematics, physics, and chemistry first.
    Then move onto engineering subjects, or better still, naval architecture.
    Finally, put in a few years with a reputable NA firm, or in a ship yard.

Good luck!
    Leo.

1 person likes this.
  3. cturboaddict

I know that CAD isnt the basics, but its a start in the right direction. I spent 10 years out of school working, then lost my job due to "economic situations". Decided to go back to school locally to get going. CAD is the path i sought after, and I've got a crazy love for boats.

I have been restoring boats and doing alot of fiberglass work in those 10years, and after moving and settling for the time being in the MidWest picked up another boat to restore. Cant help my mind turning of boats in Computer Aided Drafting. Of course im taking maths and plan on continuing my education, but you can surely understand I'm working in the right direction.

Id love to get into a shipyard or Naval firm, but that will have to be down the road. I wont let my creativity stop flowing just because im not a NA. :D

Thanks on the tips for the physics.. Ill look into those classes after fall. Ive got a full load at the moment.

4. Leo Lazauskas

CAD doesn't help you to make a boat safe for the users, nor does it make the boat you draw an efficient conveyance.

Without engineering subjects you will be no more than an interior designer, someone who can choose the livery of the boat and the patterns on the cushions in the lounge areas.

5. cturboaddict

No no.... I understand and you're absolutely correct.

And i know the honesty of reality all to well. And appreciate it when given to me.

Still wont stop me from recreating current hulls in software and having fun with it. I know of a few hulls out there that need help at the moment. (alot of the ones that I've seen that needed changes are out of production)

I should of done more work to mine, but its just a pleasure boat for the family. Bigger and faster is after i finish this one.:D

Im taking a wild guess to the notion that your an engineer?

6. cturboaddict

PS- Should of made it clear to call you Doctor!

Sorry about that. And i should of renamed my title to New Drafter, not Designer!

:D

7. Leo Lazauskas

Doctor schmocter!
    I have an interest in the resistance and wave patterns of thin hulls, but there is no way I should be thought of as a "designer". Like you I am a "drafter" :)

8. cturboaddict

Sure
    Doctor Schmocter if you will!!!:D

I did see your website on your profile. Very interesting!

Thanks for the tips, and Ill bury my head into the books but for now. Besides that I need to get out there early tomorrow to get sanding on my hull before i head into work!:cool:

9. DavidJ

DavidJ Senior Member

Mr.Lazauskas is obviously right about all the skills and knowledge you'd need to learn to become a boat designer. However, ship and yacht design firms as well as shipyards need drafters and modelers. There are usually contract jobs out there, especially with companies involved in the oil industry.

Get very good at autocad would be the best advice for a drafter. I'd also recommend you get yourself a student copy of Rhino3d. It's commands are very similar to autocad so you shouldn't have any trouble transitioning into it. it's very widely used in the north american marine industry and would be good to have on your resume.

I haven't found there to be a solid consensus on preferred solid modeling software in this industry. The big ship places don't really seem to use it much except for specialized analysis applications. The yacht firms will often use solid modeling for their interiors. Once you have a firm grasp on the main techniques involved with solid modeling you should be able to pick up different software fairly quickly. Inventor has some fans, but it would also be good to give solidworks a try, even just so you can see some of the differences.

A very useful piece of software to know in NA would be shipconstructor. I've never come across a reasonable way to learn it, but it is built on the 3d autocad platform so the more you know about ACAD the better.

One thing I would say in regards to what Mr.Lazauskas said is that even as a drafter you will definitely want a decent knowledge in those true basics. Even just so you can talk the talk. If you are working in a design office or a shipyard you will be working with engineers and you will do much better if you can understand them. You don't necessarily need to know how to calculate what they are calculating but you should understand why they want to calculate it. Much of this will just come with time, but if you could find a course in basic engineering design you should take it. Likewise the more practical knowledge you can get of ship structure, piping, and cabinetry the better. I will assume that since you worked in the field you should have a decent practical knowledge of how things are built because a drafter who draws things that can't be built won't be employed for long.

1 person likes this.
  10. cturboaddict

Thanks David.

Ive already looked into getting started on some engineering/physics classes that i would be able to take after i graduate with my Drafting degree. I have also looked into marine engineering, and the whereabouts to go to become more knowledgeable in the field. Education never hurts and Im really into learning things. Its a far way away from where I stand at this point, but its a direction. :D

11. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

12. cturboaddict

At the current moment, im right outside of St. Louis, MO.
    Originally from NJ though and was wanting to head back east at some point in time. Got a family too, so have to talk it over.

13. Joe Petrich

Joe Petrich Designer

I would have to echo DavidJ and Par's comments and add that if you and your family are willing to relocate, The Landing School in Maine provides good training in design with the added benefit of hands on classes in construction.

1 person likes this.
  14. cturboaddict

Thanks for the great suggestions guys. And ill have to wrap up this school and talk it over with the lady and kids. Im going to see if i can get in touch with the school and talk with them about transferable classes that maybe i could get out of the way here to help ease the class-load out there.

More education is where its at, and with this economy as long as im working enough to keep the lights on/kids fed/and still able to toss some money towards the boat restoration, and maybe some flowers here and there for the lady~ Ill dig into more class!

15. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You don't have to move if you select WestLawn.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.