Holes in aluminium

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by philzero44, Mar 25, 2008.

1. philzero44

philzero44 Junior Member

H'i all, Just wondering about filling holes in my boat.I have quiet a few old drill holes all around the boat and being aluminium i don't know anythink that will FILL and STICK to it without welding,Lucky there all above the waterline and i just want to fill them so i can paint.Any help will be good help.Thanks Phil.

2. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

whatever you use may blow out
    you can stick a rivet in a screw hole or you can cut a plate for inside and stick it on with Sika and then fill from outside.
    What is the plate or sheet thickness? sheet is up to 1/8 in plate is usually 5/32, 4mm and up
    If you have access to mig you can hold temporary ss or steel bar over back of hole and weld it up, pulse mig for sheet and either pulse or straight mig for plate

1 person likes this.
  3. philzero44

philzero44 Junior Member

I found a product called quikaluminum online an wondering if any one has used it.

4. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Hello,

LazeyJack would know better than me, but we have a product here called JB Weld that may work. It is a two-part epoxy putty. If you abrad, and then clean the area before applying, it will work on most anything. You can even fill a hole with it, and then drill & thread it. Wonderful stuff.

Welcome to the forum.

Tim

5. rguerard

rguerard Junior Member

Aluminum Putty

Hi,

Devcon has an aluminum/epoxy putty that we used to repair towed arrays in the Navy. It worked well even at high depths. I would still pay attention to the repairs over time. You might want to etch the areas to be patched with alodine before the repair.

Good luck,

Roger

1 person likes this.
  6. BurnabyRocket61

BurnabyRocket61 Junior Member

Hello,

I filled some small holes in my tinney by using 2 part epoxy mixed with filler to a putty consistency, or you could use epoxy putty like what was mentioned above. But what I did first was I slightly counter sunk each side so the plug couldn't move either way. Then, using all Interlux products I applied the 2 part prime wash, then two part primer, then the filler, then prime again, then paint. It's been just over a year now and you would never know there were once holes there.

Good luck, and keep your stick on the ice.

1 person likes this.
  7. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

some good stuff there guys, thanks

8. philzero44

philzero44 Junior Member

Ok but the question is still there

9. alan white

alan white Senior Member

As Burnaby said, and you can use JB-Weld to fill the holes. Nothing could be simpler.

10. BurnabyRocket61

BurnabyRocket61 Junior Member

Make sure you check if the putty is easily sanded or not, the epoxy with fairing compound is.

Good luck, and keep your skates sharp.

11. jono

jono jono

I haven't used the stuff, but this looks great. I may just buy some to patch up my vessel. The stuff Ciao,
    JONO

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.