Holes for chain plates cut into redone deck in wrong location

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by J 29 Guy, Mar 12, 2012.

1. J 29 Guy

J 29 Guy Junior Member

Holes for chain plate

J 29 Guy

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  2. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

He may have to do the whole panel paint again to get a good match. You shouldn't worry unless he's been paid already. If you paid with a credit card, you can with hold the money until the job gets done right.

4. J 29 Guy

J 29 Guy Junior Member

If he has to paint the whole panel that means the whole deck on a J 29 there is no break in the non skid and were talking about both chain plates. He has been paid in full boat had to be transported to his shop about 45 miles and I am sure he has learned not to deliver boats that were finished with the promise of full payment and had that not go according to plan. I had asked about if there was a problem when the boat got back to me and uncovered when we gave him the green light to do it and he said it would be taken care of. With this post I am wanting to be educated when we meet up at the boat to discuss how to make it right.

5. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

If I understand problem correctly here is an idea to correct problem. On the underside if it accessible, make an aluminum plate about 1/2 thick to reinforce area, then glue/fill area with thicken epoxy. Then redrill holes like they should be, attaching through the aluminum. This will strength the area, and you can sleep at night. Hopefully the cosmetic part is covered by chain plate.

6. alan white

alan white Senior Member

You can pour a solid epoxy block from the top after removing the balsa in the right location. Whether this allows hiding the holes already drilled or slotted I don't know.
    Once you've located the tang slots from below, mark the beauty plates on the deck to see what the coverage is. You can now make the holes almost as large as the plates themselves. The larger hole size will allow you to dig out the balsa, and if you rig a drill with an L shaped wire (similar to an Allen wrench), you can remove balsa from around the holes between the inner and outer skins as well.
    Now you can pour neat epoxy (or thickened with high strength filler) into the cavities.
    Redrill to finish up and do the cosmetics before reattaching the chainplates.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If he has insurance, it will cover the repair in case he doesn't want to do it. Do you have anything in writing as to what the finish product should look like?

8. bntii

bntii Senior Member

On fresh paint ( that has not seen too much wear/oxidation, the work can be done with no sign of a patch in the repair area.

I wouldn't sweat it till you have a talk with the contractor. I assume he did a nice job on the deck paint and will no doubt get this sorted out for you.

9. J 29 Guy

J 29 Guy Junior Member

All will be taken care of.