Autoclave

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by idkfa, Oct 5, 2009.

1. idkfa

idkfa Senior Member

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Willi Illbruck has built much larger yachts in his Autoklave and I´m sure he was´nt the only one.

Regards
    Richard

3. idkfa

idkfa Senior Member

Thanks apex1, didn't think that sounded right.

4. themanshed

themanshed Senior Member

Does anybody have plans for a homemade autoclave? Seen some in the past. Not trying to break a record just want something 20' long by a few feet wide for a mast or tube section.

5. Erik Barkefors

Erik Barkefors New Member

Marstrom has built a 90-fot cat to the Polish sailor Roman Paszke. I saw the boat this summer i Vastervik Sweden. Huge and impressing. The boats first name was Bioton and now it is named Gemini 3.

The hulls was built in autoclave in two halfes and later jointed.

Loa: 27,56 m
    Beam: 14,00 m
    Depl empty: 8,0 ton

On the picture you also see the 30-fot tri SeaCart 30 and can compare ;-)
    The SeaCart is also built in autoclave by Marstrom.

[​IMG]

6. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Excellent post, Erik.

After reading the post, I toook a quick look around the Googlescape and found this bit on the Bioton build...
    http://www.multihullreview.co.uk/cms/?q=node/96

"Despite the rapid construction time, Bioton has been completely built in carbon/Nomex, and impressively all of this has been cured in Marstrom's autoclave. While Marstrom's autoclave may be long it doesn't have sufficient diameter to house a complete 90ft catamaran hull so each hull was assembled from pieces - the bottom and the bottom of the topsides form one piece, then there are three deck pieces and six topside pieces. "We have an autoclave that is 35m long. The bottom piece exactly fitted into it," says Wärn."

The article has a lot of interesting info and I was especially taken by the comments about the material selection philosophy for IDEC and Sodeb'O after ORMA 60 experiences with Nomex cores, such as being used on Bioton/Gemini 3.

My question now is.... Where is she now and is there a Jules Verne attempt in her future?

Attached Files:

7. Erik Barkefors

Erik Barkefors New Member

The picture of Gemini3 was taken at Marstroms place in the middle of august this year. There where some polish guys working on her.

I don´t think that Gemini3 is large enough för Jules Verne Trophy today. If you read swedish please have a look at my blog:

http://segelochpaddel.blogspot.com/2009/09/jules-verne-trophy.html

Groupama 3 and Banque Populaire V has proclaimed that they will start for Jules Verne Trophy this autumn/winter.

I´ll hasn´t the money so I will start at VirtualRegatta Jules Verne Trophy instead ;-)

8. jonr

jonr Senior Member

I've considered turning an old propane tank into an autoclave. Cut an end off and then weld on a flat plate door.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.