Self Righting Rowing Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rwatson, May 18, 2014.

1. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I think this story might be newsworthy enough for its own thread - thanks to Corly. ( I cant find any other thread about it ) The rower has no sporting or rowing experience, and is planning to work his way up to a two way row of the Tasman Sea ( between Australia and New Zealand ). LOMOcean has designed two successfull, record breaking boats recently http://www.lomocean.com/projects

Attached Files:

2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

I don't think I would want to drag along that much of a boat.
    But I have never done any ocean rowing.
    And I wouldn't be flying a flag, unless it was downwind :p

Interesting that they are proclaiming a "record breaking" attempt with someone who is not sporting or a rower.

Seems like everyone has to be the "worlds best" at least before they even try.

I wonder if the boat even got built?

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

You could try actually clicking your mouse on the links to answer your question

- or even just reading

"he didn't feel he was adequately prepared to leave within the time frame on the video"

:rolleyes:

4. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Actually I couldn't get the link to work - it just sat there and churned.
    The second one actually worked now.
    So-
    I see the boat
    I didn't see anything about the row
    Congrats to him for beating cancer
    Its still a large boat to be driven by human power
    The boat looks very trendy if nothing else.

And no I'm not ready to show him up, good luck to him, personally.

5. keith66

keith66 Senior Member

Out of interest years ago i built a Pete Culler Whitehall pulling boat. She was converted to sail with a centreboard case for a film job. The boat had to be overwhelmed by a storm. While shooting the capsize shots, we found she had an interesting tendency to right herself even with the centreplate raised, the weight of the plate & buoyancy of the wooden spars was enough to set her rolling upright. The upswept sheer had a bit to do with it as well.
    In the end we had to tie a 56ld weight to a bit of line on top of the mast to hold her down.
    Heres a link to some very different Ocean rowing boats, http://www.rannochadventure.com/ , Unlike the strange triamaran these are well proven with a single built & rowed by Charlie Pitcher holding the transatlantic solo record.

6. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Looks at boat ... so THAT'S why dolphins never capsize! :p

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.