Historical multihulls

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gary Baigent, Feb 26, 2012.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

...you left out one of my all time favorites,...the Mercedes 300 Gullwing,....a 1954 design that still stands up these days :!:

...more images

excuse my digression

Attached Files:

2. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Speaking of vintage designs, Ppalu and Indigo,...both beautiful cats

3. tane

tane Senior Member

good analogy again: from any other aspect than aesthetics a dead, dead loss & a deathtrap, "unsafe @ any speed" compared to a contemporary!
    but hey: who said we gotta be rational!!! (there may only quite a penalty involved with this approach to a liveaboard-bluewatercruiser...)
    btw: the contemporary SLK or whatever they are colled don't look bad either, do they:
    http://img.automobile.de/modellbild...37077_wochenthema_gebrauchte_15_cabrios_1.jpg

4. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

Interesting. Back around the mid 70s, when I acquired and restored my Prout Cougar, the Stiletto became the new boat of choice for the Chesapeake racers and everyone moved up from the Cougar....the Cougar fleet thus withering away in to oblivion. I enjoyed the heck out of mine for a number of years afterward though. And always wanted a Stiletto..:D

5. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I've been asking around and all that we can come up with is she is in the water in Cairns and has been fitted with her rig. Also a couple of photos from Darren Drew.

Attached Files:

6. Barra

Barra Junior Member

7. warwick

warwick Senior Member

P1030189 (Large).JPG

From Barra link

8. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

9. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

There was another very early (like 1970s) Kraken 33 in Auckland named Manu Puru. I think it originally came from Tauranga - and in those days I wanted it, but was broke. I saw it somewhere recently on the hard (Little Shoal Bay?) but it has the usual hideous large cabin and other crap added to it. Sacrilegious?
    There was another K33 here in the 1980s named Skipjack - but it hit rocks off Kawau in a night race, was thoroughly jammed and was lost. Mast, winches, sails and gear was saved though. I've got a photograph the owner took of the salvage; will look for it.
    Found: Butchered Manu Puru in second photograph.

Attached Files:

10. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

John Westell is perhaps not well known as other multihull designers but was responsible for the Ocean Bird trimarans and later placed very credibly in the Round Britain and Ireland race onboard the trimaran Johnwillie. This great article by John Henshall on Yachts and Yachting traces his contributions in the development of sailing dinghies as well.

http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/191116/The-Fourth-Wise-Man

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Thanks for that, Corley-great man, great story! I've loved the 5O5 since I started racing but, sadly, never got to sail one.

12. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

Great article Owen, although I can't really see how the man who designed the beautiful 505 could design the butt ugly Ocean Bird tris. In one of my favourite movies, High Fidelity, Jack Black's character wonders how Stevie Wonder could write classics such as I wish and Superstition and yet also record such dross as I just called to say I love you. Its the same with John Westell for me - a bit of an enigma - maybe he should have got Farrar to help him with the lines of the multis a bit.

13. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

14. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

15. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Thanks for the article.
    I had always heard that Slingshot was left unattended tied to the breakwater and broke free, then being smashed.
    I really couldn't believe a high powered group would have left the boat unattended, but that was all that was reported.

Much better to know the truth.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.