Historical multihulls

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gary Baigent, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

2. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

3. pogo

pogo ingenious dilletante

4. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Bags has a mast again after an extensive rebuild from her damaged state by Rex Donkin. Photo thanks to Wazza.

Attached Files:

5. RHP

RHP Senior Member

The times I've looked at her she always looks too cramped inside to be a world cruiser. Lovely lines but not sure how practical.

6. Skip JayR

Skip JayR Tri Enthusiast

Walter Greene's Formula 40 Trimaran... the first in USA.

Walter Greene (USA) designed a trimaran which belongs to the Formula 40 class... for the self builder Jim Godbey. It was the first Formula 40 Trimaran which was built in USA. (Rec.: The F40 class started in 1985/1986).

Here the datas of this boat (design specifications / Source: Wooden Boat Magazine):

LOA (feet): 40′ 0″
    Beam (feet): 33′ 0″
    LWL (feet): 40′ 0″
    Draft (feet): 2′ 0″
    Former Name 1 (newest): NEWPORT BLUE
    Former Name 2: NAVICO
    Former Name 3: NEW ENGLAND ROPES
    Former Name 4 (oldest): GS-40
    Home Port: Cocoa, FL
    Designer: Walter Greene
    Design or Class: Daggerboard sloop
    Boat Type: Formula 40 Trimaran
    Rig: sloop
    Gross Displacement: 5000
    Sail Area: 1000
    Sail Number: F 40/US 30
    Engine Model: Outboard
    Builder: Jim Godbey
    Location Built: Milton MA
    Year Built: 1986
    Documentation or State Reg. No.: FL 9004 HY
    Owner Name: Mark Donigan
    Yacht Club: U.S.S.C.

The latest name was "Up my Sleeve". We may ask where the boat is now ? - A very sad answer to give as I mentioned, the latest name "was" as the boat is no more.

The Walter Greene Trimaran was sailed by Etienne Giroire for the Route De Rhume 2010 under new sponsor name ATNinc.com / Up my Sleeve.
    [​IMG]

The boat was well known by Etienne long time before:

[​IMG]

Etienne even sailed this boat for the OSTAR 2005 (more details in the newsletter of the New England Multihull Association, see attached PDF).

Unluckily the boat capsized during the Route de Rhume Race 2010. Etienne kept safe in his dry suite being rescued.
    [​IMG]

Sad, sad, sad to see this yellow beauty dying.... Anyhow... it is very interesting and more important for the future to read and learn from Etienne:

You can read the fully story here on "The Daily Sail" in May 2011 or on the sponsor's site.

French skipper Etienne gave an interview after the capsizing in English... we even see the last footages of this boat filmed on board the cargo ship which picked up Etienne... and some short sequences this beauty was under sails.

Walter Greene did a fantastic job... a boat I'd loved to sail... so well balanced trim. Heartbreaking that she is no more.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGYecKZGbk0

If you are interested in Formula 40 Trimarans, feel free to come over and participate about "THE FUTURE of F40 Tris" :)

Attached Files:

7. Skip JayR

Skip JayR Tri Enthusiast

First foiling America's Cupper Blue Arrow... which year ???

wowh.... first time seen this boat. Tks for sharing. Impressive and still futuriistic look in our times.

What year was it built ???? - And is this boat still sailing ????

8. Doug Halsey

Doug Halsey Senior Member

9. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

It broke up on a delivery trip in heavy weather to another port - was what I heard.

10. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

When they were told they couldn't race it in the ACup they tried a speed run in a lot of wind. It capsized and then broke up, I think in Falmouth?

Richard Woods

11. Skip JayR

Skip JayR Tri Enthusiast

Pitty... a real beauty. But John still has another design which is yet not realized... a 68 footer with the concept for round the world race. Still waiting for its first owner. Very beautifully lines...
    Source: http://www.shuttleworthdesign.com/gallery.php?boat=spirit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

That is interesting. I don't recall this boat at all.

13. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

Skip JayR The 68 feet by Shuttleworth is pretty but outdated, it looks like a mid 80ties big tri before Fujicolor (1987). The mast is antiquated with all these spreaders, the main hull also. The amas have not enough volume nor the good repartition - not enough at the stern-. Also, It's too small also compared to the actual around the world racers.
    Trimarans (at least the racers) are totally different now, and the speeds show it.

14. Skip JayR

Skip JayR Tri Enthusiast

I agree, Ilan. It wont be competitive against the 100 Foot racers like Macif, Sodebo etc. ...

Shuttleworth's 68 Footer would not be competitive to set a new record mark for nonstop circumnavigation. But I'd see it as big enough and fast enough to sail for a "global mission" with bigger media interests, so my thoughts first when I saw this boat.

I have thought more as a kind of "RV - Research Vessel"... as the MOD70 under flag of "Race for Water" did before it capsized last week.

For such a mission, it does not need a very radically boat with highly risks for the crew. But it should look "sexy" and "extraterrestrial". I think the beautyness of Shuttelworth's design is a guarantee for it, isnt ? :)

15. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

I don't think John Shuttleworth was involved with Blue Arrow. Phil Morrison was, and so was Martin Smyth. The BA mast was built using the Spirit of Apricot mould. I think Joe Richards and Ed Dubois were also involved. I know John Claridge was in the crew

All too long ago, it was only really built as a joke "lets see what happens" project. So a bits and pieces boat

IIRC the Spirit design was started but never finished as the shoestring budget didn't get too far

Richard Woods

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.