Historical multihulls

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gary Baigent, Feb 26, 2012.

1. hump101

hump101 Senior Member

Here's a not-so-marvellous photo of her waiting for the start in St Malo.

Attached Files:

2. Moggy

Moggy Senior Member

Beowulf Vl seemed ahead of her time.

Attached Files:

3. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Certainly a simple effective concept and famous to boot.
    While I see the benefit of having the front bridle meet higher up in the air, is there any special reason why the clew of the jib is so high?I suppose it tended to avoid having to change the jib sheet position fore and aft in a wide range of wind, maybe?

I wonder how much it could be improved with current techniques? carbon mast, carbon huls, carbon beams like everyone else - what else?

Oh yeah - Doug's hydrofoils.

4. Moggy

Moggy Senior Member

I don't know about the headsail, I suspect that is an off the wind configuration and that she went to weather bareheaded. Maybe Gary or some one knows for sure. I think this is circa 74/75.

5. Moggy

Moggy Senior Member

6. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Moggy, Thanks for the link and the reminder...I was then a keelboat guy but even so, two cats had my total interest...Beowolf and the Sharks...and M Scows. One of the great boats, no doubt, Beowolf in all its configs. Foils would have ruined the whole deal, as Mr. Upchurch intimates. :)]

7. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Notice those new fangled, to windward, una rigs on Beowulfs IV, V and V! ... 40 plus years ago. Gasp!
    Still hasn't really sunk in - bar a couple of "new" designs.

8. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Gary Baigent +1. And half hulls of "foam." Amateurs rule.

I wonder where in the Bay area that boat sits...anyone know? Or, did forty-plus years do it in?

9. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

Probably because it has a high bridle. a lower one would increase the inward pulling loads on the bows, which are not held apart by a netting beam. And the high clew is so it can sheet to the aft beam

Richard Woods

10. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Made my day. Don't know squat about stresses, but had the idea that the low one would pull the hulls in too much...maybe I missed my calling, so to speak. I do drink beer, but should have hung out over the rail more?

Thanks Richard Woods.

11. onewaytri

onewaytri New Member

Crowther Tempest 33

hey all! I just bought a Crowther Tempest 33 about 6 months ago. anyone else have one? I have a crowther tempest 33 with the larger cabin and an outboard and a main 3/4 keel as well at the amas fins. shes in Georgetown, BH I sailed her from Charleston to dry tortugas then Georgetown myself. shes a little heavy but still does 6 easy and 8 kts when its really kicking.

12. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Here is the latest A Class (beauty) from Hall Spars and Rigging; the A has been around since the early 1960s, still the same platform measurements - but the aspect ratio of the una rig has changed a little as has the bow design ... as have the foils.

Attached Files:

13. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

In the actual trend...As always in "fun" leisure boats design over function. Never paint a small boat in black. Never let a black boat in the sun...Specially in composite, a part the burns, you have the risk of resin softening and to have deformations and delaminations. At midday under a tropical sun you can cook eggs on the deck and to get hot water for the tea. I hope there are pressure relief valves on the hulls, like on the old boilers, I imagine hot in the sun-cooled in the water, a hundred cycles and lets have a look on the hulls.

14. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

Agreed, remember the problems Swan had with their infused dark hulled boats. I was told that if you left a metal tool on the deck of one famous large black trimaran it would soften the foam and leave an imprint.

I recall the A class used 34-35ft masts back in the early 1980's, but found they were too tall, as of course did the F40's when they tried 80ft masts in the late 1980's

I was also told by a carbon spar maker that he would never personally have a "black" carbon mast, he would always paint it white. UV will degrade the epoxy, even through varnish, and black causes the same hot/cool problems as on a hull

Richard Woods (also now in Mexico)

15. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

It's pure fashion and consumerism. The very high masts begun when some guy won one or two races on the Italian lakes with winds ranging from 0.01 knots to 0.1 knot with a new tridimensional sail cut in a miracle plastic on a 34 feet mast. Two months later every body in A class was struggling with too high masts and sails slim as a Spanish navaja.
    The funniest is that one of my colleagues et the Navy was winning every local class A regatta in North Brittanny with a very ordinary BIM, a 27 feet mast and a 2 years old terylene sail, beating some of the French upper cream in the class. So, he is invited at the Mecca of sailing of France in South Britanny against the upper-upper cream of the rich boys with 20 thousand bucks class A.

He is a bit anxious so he calls me; I brief him on all the details of wind and sea at La Trinité, and prepared his cata; 2 turbulators on the mast, a bit more tension on the diamond stays, a new terylene sail, a good sanding of the daggerboards with 800 paper, idem for the govern blades plus 0.35mm turbulators, general cleaning and maintenance and wished him good luck.

He won 4 times on four regattas, because he was the fittest, and an excellent skipper with a decent boat, making always the good choice...After he had to come back to Brest and stayed 2 years on the "Jeanne d'Arc" doing a world circumnavigation, at the great relief of the rich boys in Class A...

Have a nice trip in Mexico!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.