Historical multihulls

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gary Baigent, Feb 26, 2012.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

The first thing I noticed is hinging that would remove your mount point for the 5 gallon propane tank .... It would be awkward to move propane somewhere else to fold up, or out, the amas ...

2. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

When the Schionning's had the boat they added quite a bit of interior. If I recall correctly Bullfrog/Verbatim was strip planked WRC to the waterline and long grain balsa upto the sheer. I chatted to Ian Johnston a while back about consulting and supplying ply for my F40 project and when I asked him what they would change on Bullfrog he reckoned it was a long list :). His biggest off the cuff recommendation was to somehow beg borrow or steal the money for a carbon mast to reduce weight aloft he noted when he cut a few feet off twiggy's mast it totally transformed the motion of the boat and improved the dynamics noticeably.

3. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

That is good to know, but costly ...

4. Oceano

Oceano Junior Member

Attached Files:

5. FirstLight

FirstLight Junior Member

Polynesian Concept

Loved the trip down memory lane in this thread. I don't think I saw PolyCon (Polynesian Concept) which was Rudy Choy's design built by CSK in the 60's for Buddy Ebsen (Jed Clampett in the Beverly Hillbillies). I though all of the Choy designs were really sexy with shear lines that combined elements of destroyer bows sweeping down to very low freeboard in the transom.

I believe this boat did Transpac at some point..

10-8-2013 9-08-40 PM.jpg

6. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

Farrier Command 10 plan set

Hey, guys

Well, I have finally been able to find someone who had a scanner large enough to scan the full size blueprints for my Farrier Command 10 tri.....

....only cost me AUS$40 too!! :)

In deference to Ian, I shan't be uploading them here to a public forum, but at least we now know where there is a set of plans that has been digitised.

The full size template sheets were a right bugger to scan, as they were too wide for the scanner (sheets are 950mm wide, and up to 2400mm long!!) - so we had to fold them in half in order to scan them, which will just mean printing both 'halves' and then physically joining them together with sticky tape.

They're in PDF format, so I don't know how to 'stitch' them together, although I could probably figure out how to do it in Photoshop if I played around with it long enough, but for my purposes, I don't need them stitched together digitally, because it will be easier to print 'working copies' of them (when I do get around to building the boat) in their current 'size', as most plan shops have a maximum print width of about 920mm .

That way I can still keep the original blueprints pristine and unmarked..:D

7. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

get our hopes up ....

Is that a folder?

8. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

Yep. Biggest folder designed back then at 33ft

9. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

An article from Multihulls World about the victory of Mich Desjoyeaux's Geant in the 2002 Route du Rhum and the toll on the ORMA60 fleet also an article on Chris Cochrane's Timberwolf trimaran.

Attached Files:

10. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Bagatelle is relaunched now and looking good.

Attached Files:

11. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

Very tongue in cheek..........but it might be worth *translating* for the benefit of the non-Antipodeans the "chilly bin" referred to in the Timberwolf article.....

In Oz and elsewhere it is known as an Esky, in the US they call it a cooler.

Container with ice added to keep beer cold, anyways.

And the spelling was wrong - it should have been "chully bun".....

:) :) :)

[Ducks for cover.......]

12. Moggy

Moggy Senior Member

Bullfrog again...

Back in the day that Dacron could still be fast... :rolleyes: :p

Attached Files:

13. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

It warms the cockles of my heart to see "Bagga's" alive and in the water again. I put one year of my life into that boat. :eek:

14. Ooks

Ooks Ian

Hi folks - been reading and enjoying this forum recently (thanks all you regular posters). Quick into - I grew up sailing on a Tri discussed on this forum Devils 3. She was (is) a 36ft lex nichol design that my father purchased (I think) from builder Cliff Fraser. Since she was sold (some 20 years ago) I have maintained a little interest in sailing, but not much for the past 7 years or so. But have recently been day dreaming and looking on some forums with interest. (Really I blame the Americas Cup for this - I was just blown away watching those foiling Cats, and have obviously been thinking about boats since then)

Am also just staggered by the ingenuity of some of you guys (looking at you Gary B)

Interesting, I see there are a few other second generation from some of the historical fast multis posting here - seem like a good spot to find myself.

Anyway a renewed interest in Tris is one thing, actually taking the plunge in is another and my budget is (will be?) limited. I saw the Twiggy mk2 tri "Larrikins Spirit" discussed here a few pages back has dropped down to sub $20K. I have only been watching boats recently and wondered if this is ridiculously cheap, or do tris of that vintage often have to drop that low to find buyers?? Its also a long way away so not sure if its is realistic, but would be keen to hear anyone's thoughts on it.

Also anyone around Brisbane who might need some crew......

15. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

MYCQ is probably the most active club with the largest number of multihulls sailing (and racing) on a regular basis and are located in Manly. They would be the first spot to check for crew spots:

http://www.mycq.org.au/Location.htm

I'm a trimaran enthusiast and sadly they do often have to drop to ridiculously low prices to sell. Catamarans pretty much have the multihull market stitched up in the non trailerable segment. Better load carrying and more spacious interior for a given length and beam make the trimaran a pretty tough sell. That does make for great buying on the secondhand market if you do your homework though.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.