Historical multihulls

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gary Baigent, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Excellent stuff, half crown - have you any more photographs, plans of Promocean?

2. half crown club

half crown club Junior Member

Apricot was adrians best boat I think, that thing flew

3. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

So even you say it was dog then...

I only sailed against it in the Solent in winds to about 20 knots (no reefing).

Phil Morrisson's QAB was underweight for the F40 (I think it's launch weight was 1500Kgs, hulls were 8mm cedar with thin glass each side). Yet it did the RBR and 2star and its hulls/beams didn't break - it was the Proctor mast that let it down (which was poorly designed from day1)

Richard Woods

4. Richard Woods

No that was Nigel Irens. Paragon was the Thompson boat that year, suffered damage in the RBR, then modified by Dave Alan Williams who crewed it (and later did the Steinlager tri)

I also raced against We, sorry, but it didn't point as well as its rivals

Richard Woods

5. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

I thought Queens Anne Battery was a much smaller boat than F40, at a guess, around 32 feet.
    Did Adrian Thompson make some derogatory comments about you or your designs at some time, Richard Woods?

6. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

Crowther Hemlock

Not sure if this qualifies as a historic multi...???

Pic found on Multihull group on Facebook.

Apparently is 'Hasta La Vista' and apparently built by Geoff Cruse.

Attached Files:

7. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

This was quite an interesting Lock Crowther trimaran design and is built in Kevlar sandwich it's still quite a rocket. I've been onboard and it's pretty basic and unfaired in there but the boat is still light and floats high on its lines here is another photo.

Attached Files:

8. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

It does sit high, doesn't it - would get quite a heel going under full sail, I expect.

Just wondering about the design of the akas.....in the pic you sent there appears to be a "joiner" or perhaps it's reinforcing at the point where the aka meets the vaka...see close-up attached....

I'm wondering why this method of attachment was chosen, if that 's what it is, and further, could this potentially enable a hinged joint to be included...or not?

Attached Files:

9. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I'm not sure if the boat was designed to be demountable but it was delivered down to SA from NSW by sea. There was an article in one of the Multihull World magazines about the rebuild it's a great ocean boat and very solid. With the amount of dihedral it sails with a higher degree of initial heel but it's a very capable boat and fast. I'm in favour of a bit of dihedral myself you don't want the boat to be too stiff. There would be adequate accommodation for a couple but a family would be tight it looked like it used to have an inboard diesel as the filled in engine cutout is still visible inside but it's equipped with a 20hp outboard now. The shell was built by Geoff Cruse and it was finished off by another builder (cant remember their name, sorry).

10. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

Prouts ad

Technically, this is not a 'historic multihull' but is a bit of trivia from what was later a major cat builder.

Ad is from The Motor Boat and Yachting, May 1953

Attached Files:

11. Moggy

Moggy Senior Member

12. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  13. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

a few points

Hello all

Corley - The tri you mentioned was put together by a teacher in Coffs harbour called Pete. He took some time to do it but did a nice job. Jeff Cruse built the hulls and did a fair bit of the design. I think the boat may have been for himself originally but then he sold it. She was in Coffs for a while. She was delivered to Pete in bits - hence the design of the beams. Last saw Pete and the boat in 2002 but she was sold later as stated in the article.

As for Larrikin Spirit. She is a Twiggy mk 2 designed by Lock and has had a checkered history. Named Barbarossa she hit a breakwater and broke a float bow off. In Lake macquarie later she got some rot in the floats (she is ply) and got new foam floats. She got sold to a mate who sailed her to Airlie in about 2002 where she was sold. (Her reacher is now my reacher). She got added onto a fair bit but is a nice boat. She has Mk 1 crossbeams so you need to duck going forward.

I am touring Britain now and got to visit Richards old stomping ground of Millbrook - absolutley beautiful spot. I took shots of A Cappela (Mike Birch winning RDR in 78) Triple Fantasy (Simpson Wild 70s) and an Irens one design 40 footer. Fab stuff. Tomorrow I visit the Falmouth Maritime museum.

Phil

14. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

Pics of Bulfrog per previous post by moggy....

Thikn we need to extract pics from online listings as the listings don't stay there and then the pics and links disappear over time...

Attached Files:

15. Richard Woods

I'll be back home in a few weeks, so I'm sorry I missed you

Triple Fantasy is actually a Kelsall design originally built by Terry Cooke in 1980?

I went on Acapella after the RDR when we were both still in the WI

Richard Woods

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.