Historical multihulls

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gary Baigent, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Since I'm sifting through my collection, thought I'd start a new thread. Here is Pen Duick IV at Marsden Wharf, Auckland. Eric Tabarly doing the balancing act over the alloy pipes.
    David Keiper's Williwaw at Westhaven after his historic Pacific first hydrofoil crossing.

Attached Files:

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Thanks, Gary. This one is not in the same league as those but it was/is "historical". My first 20' trimaran-1971-72-designed and built it:
    PS- the unique part of this boat was the planing main hull.....

Attached Files:

3. Gary Baigent

Well, okay then, if posting your own stuff is allowed, here's the launching of Supplejack, on-the-beach preparation of same and the multihull fleet at Kawau Island, Richard Pilkington (owner of the original Great Barrier Express), walking on the beam of Kraken 33 Skipjack (later lost from grounding), and Kraken 40 Krisis ten minutes before she capsized next to the waterfront wharves (savage williwaw, kite set).

Attached Files:

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

-----
    What year? Yours, right? Is it "allowed"-you da man?!

5. Gary Baigent

SJ, GBE, Skipjack, around 1977-'80, Krisis 1976, Pen Duick IV 1971, Williwaw, late 1970's.

6. jagamoke

jagamoke New Member

Krisis

I've enjoyed looking at your photos so much, especially the one showing Krisis, so I've just Registered. I sailed on Krisis a few times as a teenager in the 1970s, and helmed it on occasions - my parents are friends with Duncan Stuart the owner. I recall Duncan proudly showing us the watermark that was left on the main bulkhead after it capsized.

7. garydierking

garydierking Senior Member

[​IMG]
    My Nugget 1971.

8. Gary Baigent

Neat, Gary, always liked the Nugget and thought it the best of the Piver designs. Here's Jacques de Reuck's old but much modified Nugget, Marguerite Star, won its division (when it had a cuddy cabin) in one Coastal Classic.

Attached Files:

9. garydierking

It was a great boat especially since I had a big deep daggerboard too.

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Serena

Serena was designed and built by Gene Walker in the late 60's and early 70's -and is still sailing today. I sailed this boat a couple of times with Gene and ,at 60', is the largest multihull I've sailed aboard.
    The boat has a cockpit with wheel steering port and stb. of the wheelhouse-which I thought was a tremendous layout. I've considered doing a smaller(25')
    version of this boat someday. When I first saw Serena in 1972 I couldn't believe my eyes because I had a 58 footer on my drawing table at that time with the same basic layout-except significantly wider-and no step aft in the main hull. I went down to the main dock and introduced myself to Gene and brought him down to see my design-that was the start of a great friendship.

Attached Files:

11. DarthCluin

DarthCluin Senior Member

Then I'm guessing this would be another shot of Gary Dierking's Nugget?

Attached Files:

• dba7.jpg
      dba7.jpg
      File size:
      36.1 KB
      Views:
  12. garydierking

Yes, that's the same boat getting ready for it's first sail out of Alameda, Calif. Rich Clark was the builder and I bought it from him later. Changed the direction of my life that's for sure.

13. Gary Baigent

Here's two angles of a decent collection of some classics at Trinite sur mer, many of them 60 and over 70 foot multihulls; among them are the Peyron brothers' two masted cat, various Newicks and Greenes, the original Charente Maritime (curved beam cat), Gautier 3 (green foil trimaran) the original Elf Aquitaine (wing masted cat), the original Jet Services (angle striped hull cat), the renamed English Quest tri and many others of the period, 1982.

Attached Files:

14. teamvmg

teamvmg Senior Member

Ahh! The Kersiper Bridge - That is one of my favourite places on the planet. The stuff that you can see from there on any given day is out of this world.

I may well get run over there some day - It's not the safest place to drag your family to is it?

15. Delane

Delane Senior Member

Enjoyed looking at the History! Thanks for sharing.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.